AMERICA/CHILE - Conflict in the region of Araucania; for Caritas "the way of righteousness leads to peace"
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Indigenous Institute has issued a statement condemning the violent events of recent days which took place in the Chilean region of Araucania and proposes the way of justice as the only one that leads to peace. The statement was sent to Fides Agency from the Social Pastoral Caritas.
The declaration, signed by the President of the Institute, Fr. Giglio Linfati Cantergiani, and the Executive Secretary, Soledad Molinet Huechucura, notes that "in recent days we have witnessed new violence: homes, trucks, working tools burned and destroyed by fire, acts that damage the entire regional community. We want to express our sincere sympathy to the farmers and families who have suffered this irrational action of a small group of people. We expect the authorities to investigate and do justice and act swiftly and transparently ".
"The Indigenous Institute Foundation denounces and condemns these acts of violence, from whatever side they come, we believe that true dialogue must prevail and the invitation is to do it with conviction and respect towards the different realities of the region. We reiterate that only the way of righteousness leads to peace," the statement said.
The declaration also invites to learn more about the so-called "Mapuche conflict", in order to understand the current situation, and expresses confidence in the ability of the State to respond to the problem and protect the property of local residents. It invites to look for alternative ways to have the consent of the parties in conflict. The Church has intervened on many occasions in this regard (see Fides 28/05/2012, 02/05/2012, 11/06/2011 and 04/10/2010). The "Mapuche" are a group of indigenous belonging to the movement that claims the political and territorial rights of their communities. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 25/7/2012)
- 2013-06-14 AMERICA/CHILE - Campaign in favor of the elderly with financial difficulties
- 2013-06-12 AMERICA/CHILE - Second National Ecclesial Assembly: Recognize the signs of the times beside the poor
- 2013-05-29 AMERICA/CHILE - Complaint by a religious group for violence against Mapuche children
- 2013-05-21 AMERICA/CHILE - "Chile has a debt with the Mapuche community," said Msg. Vial in his greetings to the community
- 2013-05-18 AMERICA/CHILE - "Candidates need to impress people with a real project," said the Bishop of Rancagua
- 2013-04-30 AMERICA/CHILE - Family, education, entrepreneurship: Pastoral Letter to the Chilean politicians in view of the presidential elections
- 2013-04-15 AMERICA/CHILE - "Family, public education and well-paid job," the concern of the Church
- 2013-04-05 AMERICA/CHILE - Less Catholics in the country, "a fact that cannot leave us indifferent," says the Church
- 2013-03-07 AMERICA/CHILE - Education should become a benefit for everyone is what the Bishop of Rancagua hopes
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/CHILE - The Community of Santiago greets the first missionary of St. Colombano in Chile