AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Diocese of Kilwa-Kasenga denounces the illegal exploitation of timber in Kasomeno on behalf of the Chinese
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "For about 8 months, some Chinese have started an anarchic exploitation of timber in the region of Kasomeno, 150 km north of Lubumbashi (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo)" denounces the Diocesan Observatory on the natural resources in Kilwa-Kasenga.
Especially targeted is the umukula wood, whose "heart" is very valuable. "Every day" – says the statement from the Diocesan Observatory- at least four large trucks filled with this valuable wood is sent to China, via Dar es Salaam (Tanzania). The cutting of the wood is carried out in an anarchic manner, so much so that whole areas of forest are completely decimated."
"Given the scale of the destruction of biodiversity in contempt of the Congolese law, the complaints of local people have so far been silenced. In fact, this Chinese group is supported by people who claim to belong to the presidential family," the statement said.
"The Observatory on the natural resources of the Diocese of Kilwa-Kasenga denounces this anarchic exploitation of the forest and asks the competent institutions to put an end to it. It condemns the shameless plundering of national wealth by foreigners who are backed by Congolese accomplices. It asks, finally, that the forest Kasomeno is protected against predators, for the good of the indigenous population," the statement concluded. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/08/2012)
- 2013-05-23 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Tensions in North Kivu on the eve of Ban Ki-moon’s visit
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23