AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - Negotiations to resolve the institutional crisis in El Salvador where in fact there are two supreme Courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary (see Fides 23/07/2012), will resume on August 7 after the holidays for the celebration of the patronal festival of the Country. So far we have only reached preliminary agreements. The Auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Monsignor Gregorio Rosa Chavez, had expressed his appreciation for the initiation of dialogue by the President, Mauricio Funes, to settle the crisis. Mgr. Chávez was however, critical because the initiation of dialogue took place because of "external pressure" of the United States of America and not for a self-government initiative. "Unfortunately I think what everyone says is true, dialogue began because there was external pressure," said Mgr. Rosa Chavez to journalists a few days ago. "This shows - the Bishop confirmed - that our Country is not independent, I think it is time to regain our dignity as a Country."
According to information gathered by Fides, the U.S. Ambassador in El Salvador, had reported the request of several U.S. senators to remove the Country from the list of recipients of the project "Cuenta of Milenio" and "Asocio para el Crecimiento". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/08/2012)
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security
- 2014-09-23 - Dengue and chikungunya: the most affected age group ranges from 5 to 19