AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - Negotiations to resolve the institutional crisis in El Salvador where in fact there are two supreme Courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary (see Fides 23/07/2012), will resume on August 7 after the holidays for the celebration of the patronal festival of the Country. So far we have only reached preliminary agreements. The Auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Monsignor Gregorio Rosa Chavez, had expressed his appreciation for the initiation of dialogue by the President, Mauricio Funes, to settle the crisis. Mgr. Chávez was however, critical because the initiation of dialogue took place because of "external pressure" of the United States of America and not for a self-government initiative. "Unfortunately I think what everyone says is true, dialogue began because there was external pressure," said Mgr. Rosa Chavez to journalists a few days ago. "This shows - the Bishop confirmed - that our Country is not independent, I think it is time to regain our dignity as a Country."
According to information gathered by Fides, the U.S. Ambassador in El Salvador, had reported the request of several U.S. senators to remove the Country from the list of recipients of the project "Cuenta of Milenio" and "Asocio para el Crecimiento". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/08/2012)
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Romero: a guiding light for sustainable development and social justice in Central America
- 2015-09-21 - Mgr. Escobar Alas denounces: "The new tax will in particular hit low-income families"
- 2015-09-09 - "Problems are not solved with demonstrations, but with good will" said Mgr. Escobar
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez