AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Regain our dignity", the Church welcomes dialogue but without external pressures
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - Negotiations to resolve the institutional crisis in El Salvador where in fact there are two supreme Courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary (see Fides 23/07/2012), will resume on August 7 after the holidays for the celebration of the patronal festival of the Country. So far we have only reached preliminary agreements. The Auxiliary Bishop of San Salvador, Monsignor Gregorio Rosa Chavez, had expressed his appreciation for the initiation of dialogue by the President, Mauricio Funes, to settle the crisis. Mgr. Chávez was however, critical because the initiation of dialogue took place because of "external pressure" of the United States of America and not for a self-government initiative. "Unfortunately I think what everyone says is true, dialogue began because there was external pressure," said Mgr. Rosa Chavez to journalists a few days ago. "This shows - the Bishop confirmed - that our Country is not independent, I think it is time to regain our dignity as a Country."
According to information gathered by Fides, the U.S. Ambassador in El Salvador, had reported the request of several U.S. senators to remove the Country from the list of recipients of the project "Cuenta of Milenio" and "Asocio para el Crecimiento". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/08/2012)
- 2014-01-09 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"
- 2013-08-12 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress
- 2013-07-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Everyone has to do their part in the peace process", Mgr. Rosa Chavez invites everyone to stop the violence in the country
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Let us defend our water": Mgr. Escobar’s appeal
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done