AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Integral, fair and sustainable human development", a request to protect the communities of Comodoro
Rivadavia Comodoro Rivadavia (Agenzia Fides) - The Commission of Social and Indigenous Pastoral of the Diocese of Comodoro Rivadavia, in Patagonia in southern Argentina, expressed its concern about a mining project recently presented by the provincial authority. The letter points out that: "As members of the Church of Chubut, along with other social protagonists for years have been sharing the same deep concern for the political mining in our province. Our voice is united and integrated with other voices who feel the same concern and have the same desire for a development that needs to be human, integral, fair and sustainable for the people of our province. And from our point of view, Christian and civic, we face this challenge that transcends the merely religious character. No aspect can be left out, because it affects all dimensions of the human being."
The statement recalls the rights of communities, stressing that these projects "alter their habitat and endanger their main resources, namely, the breeding of animals." Shortly after the document insists on the fact "that one cannot conceive the idea of progress and development with the depletion of human and natural resources, it threatens the lives of future generations." The document concludes that "the province could offer an alternative proposal of integral development, based on an ethic that considers the responsibility towards the natural and human ecology." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2012)
- 2013-06-07 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "We talk a lot about poverty, but we spend little time with the poor," Caritas outraged by the President’s words
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - 4 out of 10 children are extremely poor and deprived of basic necessities
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - " Pastoral ministry should always be missionary," Pope Francis’ message to his brother Argentinian bishops
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - More than 50 victims due to the torrential rains in Buenos Aires
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops of Patagonia: "social peace can be reached with the participation of all"
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
- 2013-03-14 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The joy and the prayer of Pope Francis’ compatriots