AFRICA/CONGO DR - Large participation in the "March of hope" to say no to the division of the Country
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - Large participation in the "March of hope", which was held yesterday, August 1 in 47 Congolese dioceses (see Fides 01/08/2012), as part of efforts to oppose the so-called "balkanization" of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), whose territorial integrity is threatened by a new armed rebellion in North Kivu (see Fides 25/07/2012). In the capital, Kinshasa, the march started from different parishes around 6.30 a.m., after the morning Mass, converging toward the 14 deaneries of the Archdiocese. Each parish delegation bore a banner with the same message: "No to the balkanization of the DRC, no to the plundering of our resources." Participants entrusted the Country, and especially its eastern part, to the intercession of the Virgin Mary.
According to the newspaper "Le Potentiel" there were 200,000 protesters, while according to the police authorities in Kinshasa there were just over 100,000. The march took place without any accidents, thanks to the presence of the police forces.
According to RadioOkapi, on July 31 in Kisangani (Eastern Province of the town) representatives of different faiths and civil society launched an "appeal" to the conversion of Rwanda and its leaders to "rediscover in the DRC, the Congolese, a brother and a sister, to love and not to be attacked. " Rwanda is accused of supporting the actions of the M23, the guerrilla movement that threw North Kivu into chaos and despair. A fact now recognized by major international partners in Kigali, such as the U.S.A. and Britain that have stopped sending military and other forms of aid to the regime of Kagame. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/08/2012)
- 2013-04-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Congo Caritas in charge of distributing the funds of the national collection for the east
- 2013-04-09 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The South African troops have withdrawn from Bangui in the north of the Congo. Ready for revenge?
- 2013-04-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Jesuits’ initiative against weapons that fuel the crisis in the Great Lakes Region
- 2013-03-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO - A secessionist group sows terror in Lubumbashi
- 2013-03-20 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Hopes and interrogatives after the surrender of Bosco Ntaganda,
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting continues in North Kivu despite the agreements in Addis Ababa
- 2013-03-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Addis Ababa Agreement greeted with suspicion by the Congolese but there is good news
- 2013-03-05 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Bishops: "the respect for the constitutional order must be observed by all"
- 2013-03-01 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Violent clashes between factions of the M23
- 2013-02-25 AFRICA/ RD CONGO - “Integrate Framework Agreement for Congo” say NGOs