AFRICA/LIBYA - Precarious security in Benghazi among attacks, kidnappings and assaults in prisons
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides)-Bombs, kidnappings and assaults in prisons: security in Benghazi, the capital of Cyrenaica (eastern Libya) still seems precarious after about 9 months since the end of the civil war and the overthrow of the Gaddafi regime.
On the morning of August 1, an explosive device damaged the local headquarters of the military intelligence. The attack (which caused no casualties but serious material damage, also extended to adjacent buildings), has not yet been claimed, but according to a senior security official, since July 20, when Ramadan began, there have been several attacks against security force buildings and symbols of the deposed regime. On the night of July 31, unknown assailants attacked the prison where Salem al-Obeidi was detained, releasing him. He is accused of killing Abdel-Fattah Younis, Gaddafi’s former Interior Minister who had become one of the leaders of the insurgents. Younis was killed in July 2011 in circumstances that have not yet been clarified.
Finally, seven representatives of the Iranian Red Crescent were kidnapped in the night between 30 and 31 July while returning to the hotel. The delegation members were intercepted by an armed group that got them into several cars and transferred them to an unknown location. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2014-07-14 - Worrying situation in Tripoli after clashes at the airport
- 2014-05-21 - "NATO office in Tripoli has been hit" says Mgr. Martinelli to Fides
- 2014-05-20 - "There are presuppositions for a Civil War, but the people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2014-05-15 - "By blocking visas, Europe pushes immigrants into the arms of traffickers", says Fr. Zerai
- 2014-02-14 - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns