ASIA/KOREA - Hundreds of deaths, thousands injured, houses and roads destroyed by the typhoon Khanun
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains caused by the summer Typhoon Khanun, which recently hit North Korea, has so far caused hundreds of deaths and injuries, besides leaving thousands of people homeless. According to data released by the state agency of North Korea (KCNA) over 5 000 homes have been destroyed and about 63 thousand people are homeless. The highest number of victims occurred in the counties of Sinyang and Songchon, in the central province of South Pyongan, near the capital Pyongyang strongly hit by the typhoon. The storm, aggravated by the precarious drainage systems and water control, has flooded or destroyed about 300 public buildings, including 10 health centers and schools, 60 factories. At least 25 000 hectares of land and more than 5 000 hectares of farmland have been submerged and 91,890 square meters of roads have become impassable. The effects of the torrential summer rains that have hit the country are also exacerbated by deforestation, which facilitates landslides. The food situation is particularly serious for the 24 million people who depend on external help. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2014-03-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Newly appointed Cardinal Yeom Soo-jung visits the homeless
- 2014-01-15 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Archbishop Yeom Soo- jung: "A call to the evangelization of China and North Korea"
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization