ASIA/KOREA - Hundreds of deaths, thousands injured, houses and roads destroyed by the typhoon Khanun
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains caused by the summer Typhoon Khanun, which recently hit North Korea, has so far caused hundreds of deaths and injuries, besides leaving thousands of people homeless. According to data released by the state agency of North Korea (KCNA) over 5 000 homes have been destroyed and about 63 thousand people are homeless. The highest number of victims occurred in the counties of Sinyang and Songchon, in the central province of South Pyongan, near the capital Pyongyang strongly hit by the typhoon. The storm, aggravated by the precarious drainage systems and water control, has flooded or destroyed about 300 public buildings, including 10 health centers and schools, 60 factories. At least 25 000 hectares of land and more than 5 000 hectares of farmland have been submerged and 91,890 square meters of roads have become impassable. The effects of the torrential summer rains that have hit the country are also exacerbated by deforestation, which facilitates landslides. The food situation is particularly serious for the 24 million people who depend on external help. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics
- 2013-11-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Christians in prayer for reconciliation between North and South, in the demilitarized zone
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Bishop of Mongolia: "Thanks for the missionary commitment of the Korean Church"
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In mission among the poor and marginalized in the "existential suburbs" of Suwon
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Over 45 thousand faithful attend Cardinal Filoni’s Mass for the Jubilee of the Diocese of Suwon
- 2013-09-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Cardinal Filoni’s visit is an incentive for the Church in Korea that wants to be missionary"
- 2013-09-16 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean Bishops' Pilgrimage on foot to martyrs' shrines
- 2013-08-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
- 2013-08-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia
- 2013-08-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Let us entrust to Mary the reconciliation between the Koreas"