ASIA/KOREA - Hundreds of deaths, thousands injured, houses and roads destroyed by the typhoon Khanun
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains caused by the summer Typhoon Khanun, which recently hit North Korea, has so far caused hundreds of deaths and injuries, besides leaving thousands of people homeless. According to data released by the state agency of North Korea (KCNA) over 5 000 homes have been destroyed and about 63 thousand people are homeless. The highest number of victims occurred in the counties of Sinyang and Songchon, in the central province of South Pyongan, near the capital Pyongyang strongly hit by the typhoon. The storm, aggravated by the precarious drainage systems and water control, has flooded or destroyed about 300 public buildings, including 10 health centers and schools, 60 factories. At least 25 000 hectares of land and more than 5 000 hectares of farmland have been submerged and 91,890 square meters of roads have become impassable. The effects of the torrential summer rains that have hit the country are also exacerbated by deforestation, which facilitates landslides. The food situation is particularly serious for the 24 million people who depend on external help. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2013-05-14 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul to Buddhists: "Let us together become a sign of peace and sharing"
- 2013-04-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The industrial complex of Kaesong closes but the "North-South cooperation is not completely interrupted," notes the Church
- 2013-04-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The "new Korean martyrs": an example in the Year of Faith
- 2013-04-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Winds of War, the Bishops appeal to the Pope: "Ask the leaders to work for peace"
- 2013-04-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul, "Graces and blessings on our brothers and sisters in North Korea"
- 2013-03-07 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Prison camps spread out and encompass the villages
- 2013-03-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula": Archbishop of Seoul’s appeal
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Evangelization: a priority in the Year of Faith
- 2013-01-28 ASIA/NORTH KOREA - Danger of cannibalism in the poorest provinces affected by drought and famine
- 2013-01-25 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA- High tension between the Koreas: religions call for a "change of course"