ASIA/KOREA - Hundreds of deaths, thousands injured, houses and roads destroyed by the typhoon Khanun
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - Torrential rains caused by the summer Typhoon Khanun, which recently hit North Korea, has so far caused hundreds of deaths and injuries, besides leaving thousands of people homeless. According to data released by the state agency of North Korea (KCNA) over 5 000 homes have been destroyed and about 63 thousand people are homeless. The highest number of victims occurred in the counties of Sinyang and Songchon, in the central province of South Pyongan, near the capital Pyongyang strongly hit by the typhoon. The storm, aggravated by the precarious drainage systems and water control, has flooded or destroyed about 300 public buildings, including 10 health centers and schools, 60 factories. At least 25 000 hectares of land and more than 5 000 hectares of farmland have been submerged and 91,890 square meters of roads have become impassable. The effects of the torrential summer rains that have hit the country are also exacerbated by deforestation, which facilitates landslides. The food situation is particularly serious for the 24 million people who depend on external help. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 01/08/2012)
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize