OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Missionaries and the young committed to the care of young disabled children
Port Moresby (Agenzia Fides) - "We care for the lives of disabled children ", says to Fides Fr. John Glynn, an Irish fidei donum missionary in Papua New Guinea, currently serving in the "Jubilee Secondary School" in Port Moresby.
A simple but fundamental solution has been found by raising awareness among the youth and other children on how to improve the lives of children and disabled children belonging to poor families: to give them a wheelchair that, given the high cost, families cannot afford. After nearly a year of waiting, and thanks to a donation from Greg Shepherd’s family, a prominent lawyer from Port Moresby, says the missionary, "we have managed to buy four wheelchairs, one for a young twenty-year-old man, and three smaller ones for children". This, he says, is just the beginning: children, teenagers and young disabled, scattered in families in the villages, are many and other organizations such as "We Care" in Australia and Ireland are trying to provide for at least another 10 of them , all from poor families. There is more: the missionary is dealing with the formation of some young physiotherapists who can then assist disabled people of Papua with simple but appropriate therapies, and improve their lives. Extreme situations, have been found in Papua, he says, where children with disabilities were kept in huts in the dark, alone, abandoned to themselves, while their parents were at work. Donating a wheelchair will allow disabled people to reach assistant groups every day, where they can be cared for, fed, washed, dressed, educated, and will enjoy the company of children and young people of a "Care Group". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/7/2012)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2014-03-01 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"