AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Stop violence against women: an emergency for the State and the Church
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - In the context of a convivial gathering to say thank you to the various institutions for the end of President Leonel Fernandez' mandate, Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, and the Archbishop of Santiago de los Caballeros, His Exc. Mgr. Ramon de la Rosa y Carpio, said that the problem of violence against women has reached an alarming figure in the country and have asked to review public policies to stop this serious social problem.
The President himself presented this problem as the main problem the country has to face. For the President, crimes against women is a human drama. Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez considers them "an international scandal" that should lead to a review of social structures and exemplary punishment. The Archbishop of Santiago attributed the serious problem of such factors to the lack of education and machismo. The meeting between the outgoing President and the two members of the Dominican Church went on for more than two hours and it is likely several national and international problems were analyzed.
On the problem of violence against women, the Church has already expressed herself many times (see Fides 26/05/2012). From the data collected by Fides Agency, in 2012 more than 100 women have been killed. The last case in the country provoked a demonstration in front of Congress asking for tougher sanctions against those who commit violence against women. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/7/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference