AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Restore the altered constitutional order ": the Bishops' request
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in El Salvador has asked Parliament to repeal the election of magistrates, as established by a judgment, to restore the "altered constitutional order " and warned that the settlement of Judges has taken the country to have two supreme courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary, creating legal uncertainty and insecurity in the country.
The Episcopal Conference of El Salvador stresses in its statement that the Legislative Assembly must obey the rulings issued by the Council of the Constitutional Court of Justice (CSJ), which on June 5, annulled the election of judges which took place in 2006 and on 24 April 2012, ordering new elections. The Bishops asked to choose as judges "people who meet the requirements specified by the Constitution of the Republic."
In reference to the forced settlement of these people, the statement stresses that "the situation does nothing but intensify the conflict," "the highest court of justice is threatened by disorder inside, because of the settlement of the judges whose election was declared unconstitutional. "The Church had already expressed herself in this regard (see Fides 02/07/2012) recently. The Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes said he will call the six political parties to dialogue, to seek a permanent solution to the crisis. The opposition told the local press its agreement with Funes’ initiative. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/7/2012)
- 2015-05-19 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Preparation for the beatification of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-04-29 - Beatification of Mgr. Romero: 9 heads of state have already confirmed their participation
- 2015-04-21 - Poverty exacerbates the living conditions of HIV-positive children
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins