AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Restore the altered constitutional order ": the Bishops' request
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in El Salvador has asked Parliament to repeal the election of magistrates, as established by a judgment, to restore the "altered constitutional order " and warned that the settlement of Judges has taken the country to have two supreme courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary, creating legal uncertainty and insecurity in the country.
The Episcopal Conference of El Salvador stresses in its statement that the Legislative Assembly must obey the rulings issued by the Council of the Constitutional Court of Justice (CSJ), which on June 5, annulled the election of judges which took place in 2006 and on 24 April 2012, ordering new elections. The Bishops asked to choose as judges "people who meet the requirements specified by the Constitution of the Republic."
In reference to the forced settlement of these people, the statement stresses that "the situation does nothing but intensify the conflict," "the highest court of justice is threatened by disorder inside, because of the settlement of the judges whose election was declared unconstitutional. "The Church had already expressed herself in this regard (see Fides 02/07/2012) recently. The Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes said he will call the six political parties to dialogue, to seek a permanent solution to the crisis. The opposition told the local press its agreement with Funes’ initiative. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/7/2012)
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Romero: a guiding light for sustainable development and social justice in Central America
- 2015-09-21 - Mgr. Escobar Alas denounces: "The new tax will in particular hit low-income families"
- 2015-09-09 - "Problems are not solved with demonstrations, but with good will" said Mgr. Escobar
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez