AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Restore the altered constitutional order ": the Bishops' request
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in El Salvador has asked Parliament to repeal the election of magistrates, as established by a judgment, to restore the "altered constitutional order " and warned that the settlement of Judges has taken the country to have two supreme courts of justice and two Presidents of the judiciary, creating legal uncertainty and insecurity in the country.
The Episcopal Conference of El Salvador stresses in its statement that the Legislative Assembly must obey the rulings issued by the Council of the Constitutional Court of Justice (CSJ), which on June 5, annulled the election of judges which took place in 2006 and on 24 April 2012, ordering new elections. The Bishops asked to choose as judges "people who meet the requirements specified by the Constitution of the Republic."
In reference to the forced settlement of these people, the statement stresses that "the situation does nothing but intensify the conflict," "the highest court of justice is threatened by disorder inside, because of the settlement of the judges whose election was declared unconstitutional. "The Church had already expressed herself in this regard (see Fides 02/07/2012) recently. The Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes said he will call the six political parties to dialogue, to seek a permanent solution to the crisis. The opposition told the local press its agreement with Funes’ initiative. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/7/2012)
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security
- 2014-09-23 - Dengue and chikungunya: the most affected age group ranges from 5 to 19
- 2014-09-11 - Contribution of the Church for a monument to reconciliation, which inspires to seek peace
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence