AFRICA/NIGERIA - The key to overcoming poverty: involving African women in the economy
Lagos (Agenzia Fides) - During the Second Economic Summit of African Women, which has just ended in Lagos, after two days of work what was highlighted was the fact that the economic support to women is the key to tackling poverty and to achieve more sustainable growth in the country. Among the participants, many entrepreneurs, banks, high functionaries and activists urged the political and business leaders to contribute to the strengthening of the female figure and removing obstacles that hinder their development. Women's participation in politics is very low, it is also necessary to address issues such as education or access to health services, which continue to relegate the female figure in the background. More than half of women who die in childbirth around the world are African, in Sub-Saharan Africa women manage only 26% of small businesses. Thanks to the recent African initiative New Faces, New Voices, focused on agricultural development of the continent, the creation of a database is scheduled for the next 2 years that involve women in the fields of economics and finance. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/7/2012)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto