AFRICA/NIGERIA - The key to overcoming poverty: involving African women in the economy
Lagos (Agenzia Fides) - During the Second Economic Summit of African Women, which has just ended in Lagos, after two days of work what was highlighted was the fact that the economic support to women is the key to tackling poverty and to achieve more sustainable growth in the country. Among the participants, many entrepreneurs, banks, high functionaries and activists urged the political and business leaders to contribute to the strengthening of the female figure and removing obstacles that hinder their development. Women's participation in politics is very low, it is also necessary to address issues such as education or access to health services, which continue to relegate the female figure in the background. More than half of women who die in childbirth around the world are African, in Sub-Saharan Africa women manage only 26% of small businesses. Thanks to the recent African initiative New Faces, New Voices, focused on agricultural development of the continent, the creation of a database is scheduled for the next 2 years that involve women in the fields of economics and finance. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 17/7/2012)
- 2014-11-27 - Boko Haram plans attacks with suicide women bombers disguised as nuns
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama