AMERICA/BRAZIL - Third National Missionary Congress: new places to evangelize
Palmas (Agenzia Fides) - The Third National Missionary Congress of Brazil ended on Sunday, July 15 with a Mass celebrated by the Archbishop of Palmas, His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Brito Guimaraes, and concelebrated by the Secretary General of the National Conference of Bishops of Brazil (CNBB) and Auxiliary Bishop of Brasilia, His Exc. Mgr. Leonardo Steiner. According to information sent to Agenzia Fides from the National Directorate of the Pontifical Mission Societies (PMS) of Brazil, the Congress, which began on July 12, allowed all participants to experience four days of intense activity, marked by speeches, lectures, testimony and statements by representatives of the Board of missionaries, institutions and organizations related to the missionary world of the CNBB and PMS, both responsible for the evangelization projects in the country.
In addition to the thematic panels that reflect the central theme of the Congress: "Missionary discipleship: from Brazil to a secular and multicultural world in the light of the II Vatican Council", the event gave voice to children and young people, the laity, religious life and ordained ministers who are the protagonists of the evangelizing mission in Brazil and abroad.
All of these realities came together in a common effort to share the progress made so far. Childhood and Missionary Adolescence were able to talk about their experiences and highlighted the preparation for World Youth Day in Rio and Childhood Year to be celebrated in 2013.
Many witnesses shared the work of the lay and religious for the mission ad gentes, facing the challenges of the evangelization of peoples. Many previously unknown places to be evangelized were also discovered, which need missionaries to proclaim the word of God, as in the Amazon, Africa and Haiti. The closing ceremony was celebrated simultaneously in the 17 parishes of Palmas, which hosted over 600 participants at the Missionary Congress. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/7/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Repression against indigenous peoples has become a systematic practice", denounces the CIMI
- 2013-05-16 AMERICA/BRAZIL – Still victims because of the mismanagement of health care of indigenous peoples
- 2013-05-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - India is at the center of the reflection for the Week of Prayer for the Unity of Brazilian Christians
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Nearly 800,000 people have been killed by gunfire in the last 30 years
- 2013-03-01 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "The conflict over the land is also ruining our culture," say the indigenous communities
- 2013-02-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Fighting trafficking of women with international emergency telephone help lines
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A parish in the heart of the Amazon for the Redemptorist missionaries
- 2013-02-15 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Protagonists of a strategic development: young people in the Fraternity Campaign 2013
- 2012-12-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
- 2012-12-14 AMERICA/BRAZIL - New support to Mgr. Casaldáliga from the Chamber of Deputies