AMERICA/NICARAGUA - For the Bishops the November municipal elections are not free and fair
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN) will not invite the Nicaraguans to vote en masse in municipal elections to be held on November 4: this is what was said during a press conference held on July 14 by the Secretary of the Episcopal Conference, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez, auxiliary Bishop of Managua. As stated by Mgr. Baez, the Nicaraguan Bishops are convinced that in Nicaragua there are no democratic conditions necessary for the public to choose freely and transparently mayors, deputy mayors and councilors of the 153 local governments across the country.
"The Episcopal Conference will not call to vote en masse, as it did in the presidential election in November 2011, but will not even ask citizens not to vote, but will leave to the conscience of each person the choice to vote or not in the November elections" Mgr. Baez added. For the Secretary of the Episcopal Conference, a non-transparent management of the institutions and the exercise of public duties on behalf of non-elected officials in accordance with procedures established by the Constitution, among other negative aspects, "are leading our society to a degradation of ethics and morality, and the country to a dead end."
"For me the big problem is at a moral level: a society that degrades itself morally is destined to be inhuman," complained the Bishop. In the note sent to Fides Agency it says that the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua will meet on 17 and 18 July to discuss and publish a pastoral letter on the official position of the Bishops regarding the upcoming municipal elections. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 16/7/2012)
- 2014-10-01 - Initiatives and projects for 1400 child workers in Honduras and Nicaragua
- 2014-09-17 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The Bishops on Law 779: the reform is urgent, the Church is not the auxiliary of the police
- 2014-08-19 - "Assist families but without interfering in their private lives", said the Bishop of Matagalpa
- 2014-07-30 - The country awaits a word of encouragement from the Bishops
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"