AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta has formally been proclaimed patroness of the Apostolic Prefecture of Robe
Robe (Agenzia Fides) – On Saturday, July 14 in Goba, a city in south-central Ethiopia in the area of Bale, in the Region of Oromia, about 446 km south-east of Addis Ababa, Father Angelo Antolini, OFM Cap., Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies of Ethiopia, recently appointed the first Apostolic Prefect of the newly-born Prefecture of Robe (see Fides 13/02/2012), celebrated the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the house of the Missionaries of Charity, also known as the Sisters of Mother Teresa. According to what was reported by the neo Prefect to Fides, "the event is of particular importance as the foundation stone of this house was carried out by Mother Teresa herself. In addition to first sisters, the future Blessed of Calcutta brought the priest Abba Abraha Baraki, who is still there. Thanks to her, not only the first house of the Missionaries of Charity was founded, but the Catholic Church herself was born in this vast region of Bale, predominantly Muslim."
"That first stone - continues Fr Angelo - has brought many good fruits of holiness and service to thousands of the poorest of the poor, and the birth, in this jubilee year, of the Apostolic Prefecture of Robe." The celebration of the Eucharist in the chapel of the nuns was attended by guests of the house and the faithful of Goba and Robe, as well as many Missionaries of Charity from other communities, with their Provincial Superior. Also a group of 25 Spanish volunteers with their priest, who are collaborating with the sisters for a month. "At the end of the Eucharist - said the Capuchin missionary - I have officially proclaimed the Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta patron of the Apostolic Prefecture of Robe. During the celebration, the powerful Spirit of the Lord among the poor and the sick, once again was present and we were full of joy. We were so happy that we had lunch with hundreds of poor people." (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/7/2012)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The only Catholic presence in the boundless Somali region of Ogaden
- 2013-12-11 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Inauguration of a new Catholic church for the small community of faithful in Herero
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - In the small community of Kofale mission begins thanks to children
- 2013-05-29 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Eritrean refugees protest against the regime in Asmara
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba