AFRICA/NIGERIA - The military accomplices in the assault at the cemetery in Plateau State?
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - New details emerge on the massacre committed on Sunday, July 8 in the cemetery of Matsi (town of Barkin Ladi, in the Plateau State of Nigeria, (see Fides 10/7/2012) during the funeral of the victims of the attacks on July 7 in some villages in the area.
The deputy Mwadkon Simon, who was present and escaped the massacre, gave a testimony to the Nigerian Tribune newspaper and has alleged complicity in the way and manner the coordinated attack was carried out. In particular, he states that a military closed the only access road from the graveyard before the attack.
When the attack started, the military disappeared, leaving behind a policeman who piloted the civilians, that was hampered by the presence of the military vehicle. From the testimony gathered by the Nigerian newspaper there are also indicated delays in the rescue of the two major political figures, Federal Senator Gyang Dantong and the Parliament majority leader of Plateau State, Gyang Fulani, who were killed in the assault. According to local authorities, the two politicians were not hit by the attackers, but slumped and died in a stampede that followed the invasion of the village by gunmen.
According to Hon. Mwadkon the recent massacres committed by the Fulani herdsmen, mainly of Islamic faith, are "on the agenda of the Fulani since the jihad of Usman Dan Fodio, who declared it in order to Islamize the entire north. It has been on our agenda since 1804, when the jihadis were unable to take possession of the Middle Belt region (which is part of the Plateau State). It is their belief that once the northern minorities are captured, they would be willing tools for the capture of the south". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 11/7/2012)
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped