ASIA/MONGOLIA - 20 years since its birth, the Church focuses on youth and family, to be "light and Good News"
Ulaan Bataar (Agenzia Fides) - It is a young Church, entrusting its future to young people and families: the Catholic community in Mongolia, with over 800 faithful, celebrates 20 years of its presence in the country and does it, as His Exc. Mgr. Wenceslao Padilla, Apostolic Prefect says to Fides, "with the spirit of Mary's Magnificat, recognizing that the Lord has done great things for us," continuiing to "promote the dignity of the human person, the dignity of marriage and family life, the formation of young people."
"The celebration of the 20 years since the birth of the first mission in Mongolia - said the Apostolic Prefect - reminds us that we are called to walk this world with the light of Christ, to live our moral and ethical lives in its fullness, according to the Gospel, seeking to be Light and Good News to one another." Mgr. Padilla continues: "We are called to strengthen our contribution to the social, developmental, educational and spiritual works catering to the needs of the people. As disciples of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word, we cannot live without taking into consideration the concrete situation of society, doing works of charity and acts of mercy".
Among the special activities planned for the 20th anniversary, today, July 7, there is the celebration of " Mongolian Youth Day " and tomorrow, July 8, a solemn Mass at the Cathedral of Ulaan Baatar, in the presence of civil and religious authorities, including His Exc. Mgr. Savio Hon Tai Fai, Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, and Mgr. Lazarus You Heung-sik, Bishop of the Diocese of Daejeon, South Korea.
Moreover, during the twentieth anniversary, the parishes in Mongolia will increase from 4 to 5, with the elevation of the Church "Mary Mother of Mercy" to the status of parish, while the Catholic elementary School, that the Church began to build two years ago will be inaugurated. In the coming months, Mgr. Padilla has scheduled special meetings with communities and various sectors of the local Church, to listen to the aspirations and desires of all members of the Church. The celebrations will culminate on October 7, 2012, the day on which all the faithful Mongolian Catholics are invited to plant a tree in memory of the first 20 years of the Church. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 07/07/2012)
- 2013-09-10 ASIA/MONGOLIA - The youngest Church in the world towards World Mission Day 2013
- 2012-07-07 ASIA/MONGOLIA - From zero to 800 faithful: a booming community, working for the good of society
- 2012-07-07 ASIA/MONGOLIA - 20 years since its birth, the Church focuses on youth and family, to be "light and Good News"
- 2012-03-16 ASIA/MONGOLIA - One of the poorest countries with the greatest mineral wealth in the world
- 2012-02-15 ASIA/MONGOLIA-Assistance, education and participation: the path of the missionary Church in Mongolia
- 2010-11-29 ASIA/MONGOLIA - For the first time Ulan Baatar is a “City for Life”, against the death penalty
- 2010-07-22 ASIA/MONGOLIA - Catholic community grows in hope