AFRICA/LIBYA - "We must not be surprised if there are problems, but we trust the Libyans," said Mgr. Martinelli on the eve of the vote
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "For the first time in its history, in Libya truly free elections are held. Do we want to wonder if there are any problems? I am not surprised. But I hope that the vote takes place in peace and is carried out correctly." This is how His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, comments to Fides Agency on the eve of the July 7 vote to elect 200 representatives of the National Libyan Assembly, who will then have to appoint a new interim government and a commission to write the new Constitution.
"I see that the population is maturing the idea of this event, at the beginning there was a bit of indecision but now I think they are able to face this test, with the desire to overcome it," said Mgr. Martinelli. The Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli notes another aspect of the situation: "if Libya is doing its part and the efforts that are being done to regain its balance are appreciated, I also see that there are groups and foreign and international organizations, with the excuse of helping Libya, making their interests or they do not have a transparent behavior. All of us strive to help Libya, but how many people do it with true selflessness, purity of heart and spirit?" wonders Mgr. Martinelli.
"On July 9, - concluded the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli - I will go on a pilgrimage to Lourdes to pray to Mary, who is also recognized by the Muslim world as the mother of the Prophet Issa, that is to say, Jesus, so this can help the people to grow and find peace." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/07/2012)
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 AFRICA/LIBYA - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 AFRICA/LIBYA - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi