AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - No to the closure of "bi-national markets," a source of livelihood for thousands of families
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church in the Dominican Republic has expressed a negative opinion on the closure of "bi-national markets" that are held every week at different points along the border with Haiti, warning anyone who promotes such a measure, because it does not take into account the damage that it causes to thousands of Haitians and Dominicans who flock to the markets and manage to survive thanks to this kind of trade.
The Church's voice was heard in the editorial titled "Abandoned" (Desamparados), published in the latest issue of the weekly "Camino", in which inter alia states: "Those who support the closure of the bi-national markets show that their heart is far from the border."
Last week, Prime Minister of Haiti, Laurent Lamothe, had proposed to close down the bi-national markets as part of a series of measures aimed at eliminating smuggling and to secure an increase in tax revenue of the country.
The Church knows that if these measures are applied, the Haitian authorities prove to ignoring the real needs of their compatriots, "because this informal trade between the two peoples dates back to the colonial period and was reinforced at the time of the embargo that hit Haiti "decades ago. The Church, therefore, calls on the Haitian government to open its doors to trade" and not to hinder it, otherwise it will mean only increasing misery. If the problem is the lack of revenue into the coffers of the Haitian state, these must be found elsewhere, and not putting the poor on the cross." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/07/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference