AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Bishops concerned about the conflict of authority between State organs
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The Salvadoran Episcopal Conference (CEDES) has launched an appeal to the Members of the Assembly so that they abandon the attitude of confrontation against the judges of the Constitutional Chamber of the Supreme Court. The latter has declared unconstitutional the election of judges, made by the deputies, for the years 2006 and 2012. In an eight-point declaration, sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops say they are "deeply concerned" about the recurrence of the clash, which occurred in recent weeks, instead of its solution. The President of the Episcopal Conference, Archbishop of the capital, His Exc. Mgr. Jose Luis Escobar Alas, on presenting the document stressed that "the Constitutional Chamber acted within its functions", and defined the friction between the State organs as a "political problem", therefore, urged officials of both parties to "talk in depth." Because of the possible legal and social consequences that this conflict could have, the Archbishop asked, in the name of the common good, that the Assembly recognizes the legitimacy of judgments of the Constitutional Chamber. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/02/2012)
- 2014-09-11 - Contribution of the Church for a monument to reconciliation, which inspires to seek peace
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence
- 2014-03-24 - Salvadorans commemorate the assassination of Mgr. Romero, in view of his beatification
- 2014-03-18 - Elections 2014: the Church asks the newly-elected President for an "attitude of dialogue"
- 2014-01-09 - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"