EUROPE/ITALY - The General Chapter of the Marianists, present in 38 countries around the world begins tomorrow
Rome (Agenzia Fides) – On July 3, the 34th General Chapter of the Society of Mary (Marianists) begins, which will be held at the General Curia in Rome, and will end on July 22. The group of chapter members from 20 nations, is composed of 23 priests and 17 brothers.
According to the statement sent to Fides Agency from the Secretary-General, the work of the Chapter is to establish the future directions of the Society of Mary and its ministry in the Church. During the meeting the election of the Superior General and the three other members of the General Council will be held. In addition, the chapter members will focus their attention on a number of topics such as: development of the mission of the Society of Mary in the perspective of a global community; strengthening of the tradition of the "mixed composition" (ordained and lay religious live and work together in brotherhood and equality for the mission); practical implications of the demographic reality of the Society.
The Society of Mary has approximately 1200 members in 38 Countries in Europe, America, Asia, Africa and Oceania. It was founded in 1817 in Bordeaux, France by Blessed William Joseph Chaminade. The Society's principal works include education, parish ministry, publications, religious and social commitment. Even the Marianist nuns, the Daughters of Mary Immaculate (FMI), will hold their General Chapter in Rome from July 26 to August 5. There will be the opportunity for both Chapters to meet and interact. In addition, representatives of the Marianist Lay Communities and Mariale Alliance will participate in some meetings of both General Chapters. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/02/2012)
- 2013-04-16 EUROPE/ITALY - In the world there are between 5 and 8 million child workers: World Day against Child Slavery
- 2013-03-25 EUROPE/ITALY - 61 million children without education: Global Campaign for Education
- 2013-03-22 EUROPE/ITALY - Safe drinking water is needed where necessary: World Water Day
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/ITALY - "The Franciscan Missionary": for 80 years has been supporting "those who go" and tells the "wonders" that the Lord works through his envoys
- 2013-01-23 EUROPE/ITALY - The percentage of children affected by leprosy and the stigma that still marginalizes the sick remains high
- 2013-01-14 EUROPE/ITALY - Signs of hope after the tragic earthquake in Haiti
- 2012-11-13 EUROPE/ITALY - Assembly of Bishops of North Africa in Mazara del Vallo: Churches around the Mediterranean called upon to collaborate on Migration and New Evangelization
- 2012-10-18 ASIA/MIDDLE EAST - Christians before the conflicts in the Middle East
- 2012-10-08 EUROPE/ITALY - A conference on St. Massimiliano M. Kolbe, a precursor of the new evangelization
- 2012-07-20 EUROPE/ITALY - Don Alfonso Crippa confirmed as Superior General of the Guanelliani