AFRICA/EGYPT - The Bishop of Luxor appreciates the words of the new President of Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "I consider Mohammed Mursi’s victory positive, with the hope that now all work in a spirit of cooperation to renew the Country," says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Youhannes Zakaria, Coptic Catholic Bishop of Luxor, in Egypt, where on June 24, the candidate of the Muslim Brotherhood, Mohammed Mursi, was declared winner of the presidential ballot. Mursi obtained 51.7% of the votes, beating the other candidate Ahmed Shafiq, who obtained 48.3%. 51.6% voted.
The first speech as President-elect of the Muslim Brotherhood candidate is judged favorably by Mgr. Zakaria. "His words give peace – says the Bishop - in particular the statement of wanting to be President of all Egyptians, to improve economy and also to re-launch tourism." As Mgr. Zakaria explains, economy will be a litmus test for the future leadership of the Country: "In the province of Luxor the majority voted for Ahmed Shafiq because he was considered the most suitable candidate to reassure tourists. During the election campaign the Muslim Brotherhood had made some disturbing statements about it, but we must distinguish between electoral propaganda and concrete actions to be taken once one is in government. "
"In Egypt - the Bishop concludes - we have several problems to face. First of all economy, unemployment is very high. Here in Luxor with the collapse of tourism almost everyone is unemployed. The Egyptian society is tranquil but now after the words they want actions." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/6/2012)
- 2013-05-13 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Patriarch Sidrak: the encounter between Francis and Tawadros II helps us to rediscover ourselves united in baptism
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: the meeting between Pope Francis and Pope Tawadros - to walk towards full communion between our Churches
- 2013-04-15 AFRICA/EGYPT - Government representatives contested by the Copts during a meeting of "reconciliation"
- 2013-04-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - Pope Tawadros II’s secretary: five guidelines to do away with religious conflicts
- 2013-04-08 AFRICA/EGYPT - Assault against the Coptic Cathedral of St. Mark. Patriarch Tawadros calls everyone to remain calm
- 2013-04-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros: I will go to Rome to meet Pope Francis
- 2013-03-11 AFRICA/EGYPT - The new Coptic Catholic Patriarch settles while in Rome the Pro Eligendo Pontiff Mass is held. Cardinal Naguib: it is a providential coincidence
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/EGYPT - The Coptic Catholic Bishop Fahim Hanna: U.S. politicians do not understand what is happening in Egypt
- 2013-02-23 AFRICA/EGYPT - Elections at Easter: Copts protest, possible postponement
- 2013-02-18 AFRICA/TANZANIA - Catholic priest killed; "this is the second of my priests to die" says Catholic Bishop of Zanzibar