AMERICA/PARAGUAY - President Lugo disqualified, Bishops’ appeal for peace
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - "Given the serious political crisis that the Republic is experiencing, as Bishops of Paraguay, we turn to the representatives of the government and all citizens to express once again our exhortation to peace and the safeguarding of human life as a supreme value ". With these words, spread in a statement sent to Fides agency, the Bishops of Paraguay invite to maintain social peace and order in the country.
The decision of the Congress to initiate impeachment for the President of the Republic, Fernando Lugo, has provoked, in fact, a situation of tension between the population in the capital.
"We call on political leaders, social organizations, trade unions and the people to keep calm and to avoid any confrontation and violence, which jeopardize integrity and people's lives," reads the text.
The Bishops have decided to launch this appeal because many farmers took to the streets and part of the population already speaks of "coup". The Senate, yesterday, June 22 voted for the impeachment of the President motivating the measure taken with the recent clashes between police and farmers in the area of Curuguatay where, due to a matter of land possession, 17 people died (see fides 18/06/2012). Federico Franco, vice president, was sworn in as new president of Paraguay. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/6/2012)
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - 70,000 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2013-04-22 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Horacio Cartes elected President
- 2013-04-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Vote-buying is a serious sin ", warns the Apostolic Vicar of Pilcomayo
- 2013-04-19 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "The elections are an example of civilization to strengthen democracy," the Bishops hope
- 2013-03-06 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - "Education is the key to the development of the country": Assembly of Bishops has begun
- 2012-12-17 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Family and the Year of Faith at the centre of the 40th mission in Argentina
- 2012-12-04 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Permanent Mission and Evangelization of the family: at the beginning of the Year of Faith denunciation of violence against indigenous peoples
- 2012-11-26 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Bishops on the Curuguaty case: "To accelerate the investigation to determine those responsible"
- 2012-11-05 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Year of Faith and national reality: 196th Assembly of Bishops
- 2012-10-27 AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Young Catholics want to commit themselves in the social field