AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Maternal Infant Care and tuberculosis Center, assistance to AIDS patients in one of the poorest neighborhoods of the capital
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - In Ethiopia, out of 80 million inhabitants, only 0.7% are Catholic, but the Catholic Church runs 12% of medical centers throughout the country, all included in the public health system. In Kaliti Akaki district, a poor district of the capital Addis Ababa, the population of 45 000 inhabitants is without any health service and there are centers specialized in maternal infant care and tuberculosis assistance. People live in huts, without shoes, and with few clothes. A group of professional volunteers, supported by the Spanish NGO Fundacion Canfranc, and by NGOs in other countries. One of these is the Counseling Center that deals with people with AIDS, gives them assistance, drugs and teaches them how to take them. Each week social workers pay the sick a visit. Thanks to this project, assistance to sick people continues until the return to be autonomous. But if they die, a special program takes care of orphans until they reach legal age. Three doctors, two interpreters, seven young men take turns for two weeks to provide training to personnel health care. In many of these places there is no public transport, water is scarce and electricity is very precarious. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/6/2012)
- 2013-05-29 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Eritrean refugees protest against the regime in Asmara
- 2013-05-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The "invisible" children of the continent are deprived of their rights
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo
- 2012-09-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Ethiopian New Year 2005: "We must pray for peace, justice, prosperity and be ready to any event without fear, strong in faith and hope"
- 2012-08-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A difficult phase for the succession of Premier Zenawi begins