AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Maternal Infant Care and tuberculosis Center, assistance to AIDS patients in one of the poorest neighborhoods of the capital
Addis Ababa (Agenzia Fides) - In Ethiopia, out of 80 million inhabitants, only 0.7% are Catholic, but the Catholic Church runs 12% of medical centers throughout the country, all included in the public health system. In Kaliti Akaki district, a poor district of the capital Addis Ababa, the population of 45 000 inhabitants is without any health service and there are centers specialized in maternal infant care and tuberculosis assistance. People live in huts, without shoes, and with few clothes. A group of professional volunteers, supported by the Spanish NGO Fundacion Canfranc, and by NGOs in other countries. One of these is the Counseling Center that deals with people with AIDS, gives them assistance, drugs and teaches them how to take them. Each week social workers pay the sick a visit. Thanks to this project, assistance to sick people continues until the return to be autonomous. But if they die, a special program takes care of orphans until they reach legal age. Three doctors, two interpreters, seven young men take turns for two weeks to provide training to personnel health care. In many of these places there is no public transport, water is scarce and electricity is very precarious. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/6/2012)
- 2015-08-24 - Caritas builds four schools for 4,800 South Sudanese refugees
- 2015-07-31 - “Print your Future” : Graphic Art for very vulnerable young people
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country