AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "In 100 days' respite, over 800 lives have been saved": the results of the agreement signed between criminal gangs on the initiative of the Church
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The pact between criminal gangs, the "Mara Salvatrucha" (MS-13) and the "Mara 18" (M-18), has decreased daily murders from 14 to 5, according to data provided by the Castrencian Vicar Monsignor Fabio Colindres, who was the first to propose a truce with former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango (see Fides 28/03/2012).
To celebrate the achievements of the agreement, Mgr. Colindres presided a religious ceremony in the prison of Quezaltepeque, about 25 kilometers northwest of the capital. "The results are evident, more than 800 lives have been saved, we are pleased that this peace process continues slowly," said Mgr. Colindres in a note sent to Fides Agency. "I have just come by to say hello and tell you that the truce has been worthwhile," said Mgr. Colindres to detained gang members, some of them accompanied by their wives and children.
"This day is special. On 16 June we completed the first 100 days since the beginning of the truce, a process that has yielded excellent results and has been very useful for the country, because over 800 lives have been saved," said former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango. Today will be the turn of the prison of Ciudad Barrios (east of the country) and Izalco (west of the country) to celebrate the 100-day truce for peace. According to data collected by Fides, in the prisons of El Salvador about 10,000 members of criminal gangs are being held, while 50,000 are still free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/6/2012)
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"
- 2013-08-12 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Canonization for Mgr. Romero, the Cuban Cardinal at the Eucharistic Congress
- 2013-07-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Everyone has to do their part in the peace process", Mgr. Rosa Chavez invites everyone to stop the violence in the country
- 2013-06-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "Let us defend our water": Mgr. Escobar’s appeal
- 2013-05-15 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Truce or peace process, but the population still suffers violence, denounce the Bishops
- 2013-04-10 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - OAS and government together in the peace process, the truce between the gangs is a first step
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Mgr. Romero was not a politician but a true pastor
- 2013-03-20 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Monsignor Romero, 33 years after his death the cause of beatification advances
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - The truce between the gangs is a positive iniative, but more needs to be done
- 2013-02-25 AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - Appeal for electoral campaign without violence and with transparency