AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "In 100 days' respite, over 800 lives have been saved": the results of the agreement signed between criminal gangs on the initiative of the Church
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The pact between criminal gangs, the "Mara Salvatrucha" (MS-13) and the "Mara 18" (M-18), has decreased daily murders from 14 to 5, according to data provided by the Castrencian Vicar Monsignor Fabio Colindres, who was the first to propose a truce with former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango (see Fides 28/03/2012).
To celebrate the achievements of the agreement, Mgr. Colindres presided a religious ceremony in the prison of Quezaltepeque, about 25 kilometers northwest of the capital. "The results are evident, more than 800 lives have been saved, we are pleased that this peace process continues slowly," said Mgr. Colindres in a note sent to Fides Agency. "I have just come by to say hello and tell you that the truce has been worthwhile," said Mgr. Colindres to detained gang members, some of them accompanied by their wives and children.
"This day is special. On 16 June we completed the first 100 days since the beginning of the truce, a process that has yielded excellent results and has been very useful for the country, because over 800 lives have been saved," said former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango. Today will be the turn of the prison of Ciudad Barrios (east of the country) and Izalco (west of the country) to celebrate the 100-day truce for peace. According to data collected by Fides, in the prisons of El Salvador about 10,000 members of criminal gangs are being held, while 50,000 are still free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/6/2012)
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Romero: a guiding light for sustainable development and social justice in Central America
- 2015-09-21 - Mgr. Escobar Alas denounces: "The new tax will in particular hit low-income families"
- 2015-09-09 - "Problems are not solved with demonstrations, but with good will" said Mgr. Escobar
- 2015-08-17 - AMERICA/EL SALVADOR – Crowds of faithful gather to commemorate the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero
- 2015-08-10 - 16 murders a day, the church launches an appeal to stop violence
- 2015-08-10 - The Holy Father's concern for the violence in El Salvador
- 2015-08-01 - No negotiating with gangs in the plan for National Security
- 2015-06-27 - Mgr. Romero Romero is recognized as "Son Meritísimo of El Salvador"
- 2015-06-03 - Dengue fever mainly affects school age children
- 2015-06-01 - "The numbers of murders are manipulated in order to create chaos", denounces Mgr. Rosa Chavez