AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "In 100 days' respite, over 800 lives have been saved": the results of the agreement signed between criminal gangs on the initiative of the Church
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The pact between criminal gangs, the "Mara Salvatrucha" (MS-13) and the "Mara 18" (M-18), has decreased daily murders from 14 to 5, according to data provided by the Castrencian Vicar Monsignor Fabio Colindres, who was the first to propose a truce with former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango (see Fides 28/03/2012).
To celebrate the achievements of the agreement, Mgr. Colindres presided a religious ceremony in the prison of Quezaltepeque, about 25 kilometers northwest of the capital. "The results are evident, more than 800 lives have been saved, we are pleased that this peace process continues slowly," said Mgr. Colindres in a note sent to Fides Agency. "I have just come by to say hello and tell you that the truce has been worthwhile," said Mgr. Colindres to detained gang members, some of them accompanied by their wives and children.
"This day is special. On 16 June we completed the first 100 days since the beginning of the truce, a process that has yielded excellent results and has been very useful for the country, because over 800 lives have been saved," said former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango. Today will be the turn of the prison of Ciudad Barrios (east of the country) and Izalco (west of the country) to celebrate the 100-day truce for peace. According to data collected by Fides, in the prisons of El Salvador about 10,000 members of criminal gangs are being held, while 50,000 are still free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/6/2012)
- 2015-03-24 - "Young people want to know more about Romero"
- 2015-03-12 - "The saint of all El Salvador" - beatification of Mgr. Romero on 23 May
- 2015-02-05 - Feast in Ciudad Barrios, the birthplace of Mgr. Romero
- 2015-02-04 - Mgr. Romero Beato: "Immense joy in the Salvadoran Church"; "It will be a historic event," emphasizes the Presidency
- 2015-02-03 - Auxiliary Bishop: we do not negotiate any truce, we want an open dialogue with all
- 2015-01-28 - "Yo soy uno de ellos": young children in parishes and schools in favor of the most vulnerable
- 2014-11-03 - The National Security Council begins
- 2014-10-20 - Violence increases more and more and families are the most affected
- 2014-10-07 - The Church welcomes the initiative of the Council of National Security
- 2014-09-23 - Dengue and chikungunya: the most affected age group ranges from 5 to 19