AMERICA/EL SALVADOR - "In 100 days' respite, over 800 lives have been saved": the results of the agreement signed between criminal gangs on the initiative of the Church
San Salvador (Agenzia Fides) - The pact between criminal gangs, the "Mara Salvatrucha" (MS-13) and the "Mara 18" (M-18), has decreased daily murders from 14 to 5, according to data provided by the Castrencian Vicar Monsignor Fabio Colindres, who was the first to propose a truce with former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango (see Fides 28/03/2012).
To celebrate the achievements of the agreement, Mgr. Colindres presided a religious ceremony in the prison of Quezaltepeque, about 25 kilometers northwest of the capital. "The results are evident, more than 800 lives have been saved, we are pleased that this peace process continues slowly," said Mgr. Colindres in a note sent to Fides Agency. "I have just come by to say hello and tell you that the truce has been worthwhile," said Mgr. Colindres to detained gang members, some of them accompanied by their wives and children.
"This day is special. On 16 June we completed the first 100 days since the beginning of the truce, a process that has yielded excellent results and has been very useful for the country, because over 800 lives have been saved," said former guerrilla commander Raul Mijango. Today will be the turn of the prison of Ciudad Barrios (east of the country) and Izalco (west of the country) to celebrate the 100-day truce for peace. According to data collected by Fides, in the prisons of El Salvador about 10,000 members of criminal gangs are being held, while 50,000 are still free. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/6/2012)
- 2014-09-11 - Contribution of the Church for a monument to reconciliation, which inspires to seek peace
- 2014-07-15 - The Archbishop of San Salvador: Mexico and the United States have to ensure the rights of children
- 2014-07-03 - 1,512 suspected cases of chikungunya in addition to 5,698 confirmed cases of dengue
- 2014-05-20 - Violence in parts of Central America also encourages children to emigrate alone
- 2014-05-05 - "We cannot continue to bury young people every day" denounced Mgr. Rosa Chavez
- 2014-04-28 - Transparency in everything, because people must have confidence
- 2014-03-24 - Salvadorans commemorate the assassination of Mgr. Romero, in view of his beatification
- 2014-03-18 - Elections 2014: the Church asks the newly-elected President for an "attitude of dialogue"
- 2014-01-09 - Child abuse by parents or their guardians continue
- 2013-10-01 - Indigenous peoples continue to remain "invisible"