AFRICA/NIGER - The inhabitants of Tibiri organize themselves to deal with the hunger that affects the region each year
Tibiri (Agenzia Fides) - In Niger, one of the poorest countries in the world, every year six million people out of 18 million inhabitants of the desert region of Sahel in West Africa, suffer from famine situations. Thanks to a project, supported by Oxfam and funded by the World Food Programme (WFP), which provides for the collection of water to regenerate the soil and to plant acacia trees, the inhabitants of the hot and windy village of Tibiri in the south-west of Niger, with a shovel in their hand and barefoot, dig 3 meter deep holes for rainwater. A project that has changed the lives of many people in Tibiri and offers farmers $ 56 per month for the work they do for the entire community. Last year, in the region, 80% of the 75 000 farmers lost their crops due to drought. When the first rains begin to arrive, the program enters a new phase: the financial support continues, but every farmer starts to sow their land. Several hundred miles away, in the region of Tanout, with the first rains the plantations of millet seeds have started. The harvests of the last three years were not sufficient for the population because of poor product quality. While waiting for the government to coordinate its limited resources to fight hunger in the country, the inhabitants of Tibiri have organized themselves locally and have decided to use their savings to establish a food bank. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/6/2012)
- 2014-10-02 - The Bishops' message to the Muslim community: "May the example of Abraham bear fruits of mutual respect"
- 2014-07-18 - New French military mission for the Sahel, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-04-30 - Bishops alarm: "The political situation is serious; the democratic climate is deteriorating day by day"
- 2014-04-25 - Malaria: Each year more than a million people die, mostly in Africa
- 2013-10-09 - 79,087 cases and 362 children under 5 years of age have died from severe acute malnutrition
- 2013-09-05 - Prevention against malaria for more than 180,000 children
- 2013-08-08 - AFRICA/NIGER – To safeguard Creation at the center of the Bishops’ message for the end of Ramadan
- 2013-06-20 - "Refugees are the invisible of our time", says a missionary
- 2013-06-13 - Gunfight in Niamey, maybe it was a false alarm
- 2013-06-10 - The first Bishop from Niger in Niamey