AFRICA/LIBYA - "The Catholic community has resumed its activities," says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
Benghazi(Agenzia Fides) - "We have resumed the normal pace of our activities" says to Fides His Exc. Mgr. Sylvester Carmel Magro, Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi, in Libya. "Today, for example, we celebrate the Novena of Our Lady of Salvation, to whom the Filipinos are very devout. On the occasion of the main Mass of the week, which is celebrated on Friday morning, the church is always crowded with worshipers. It is the sign - continues Mgr. Magro - we have resumed the pace as it was before the war of 2011. The faithful are all foreigners: Filipinos and a large number of Africans, many of whom are in search of work and in need of material assistance. " According to media reports, in Benghazi, on the evening of June 4, there were clashes in the district of Abouhdima, between the military police and members of a local militia, which resulted in one victim and several wounded. Mgr. Magro does not have the impression that the situation is out of control. "In Benghazi - says the Apostolic Vicar – life is almost normal. Every now and then explosions in the distance can be heard, but otherwise people lead their lives as always. People go to work and shops are open. Generally the situation is calm, although not always do we know what happens." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/06/2012)
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/LIBYA - Transfer of power from the CNT to the National Assembly which elects its President Mohamed al-Magariaf