AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Mother's Day: The Church pays tribute to women and defends "the true family"
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - "We Bishops of Nicaragua want to present, on behalf of the Catholic Church in our country, a sincere tribute of love for all the mothers of Nicaragua, and in particular to recognize how many have made their homes sanctuaries of life, religious schools and places of true love, right in the midst of a society in conflict and even, in many respects, opposed to God's plan on marriage and the family." This is how the "Message of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua for Mother's Day" which was held in Nicaragua on May 30 begins. The Bishops recall in the message, sent to Fides Agency, that the national celebration of the feast comes from a Catholic tradition, which places it right at the closing of the Marian Month. It also deals with the family, "and this is also why we follow closely, in prayer and in the attitude of discernment in the light of the Word of God, the debate on the new family code that is in progress in these days within the National Assembly" is what is read in the document. In this regard, the Bishops denounce the countries or economically powerful groups to put pressure on legislators to ensure that the new family code accepts the so-called "marriage" and the de facto union between homosexuals. However, "we acknowledge with satisfaction that, despite the pressure, "the Nicaraguan deputies have maintained in the new Code the principle that "the true family is based on a stable union between a man and a woman," the Bishops said. Thus, "the Catholic Church in Nicaragua will, before the world, give a testimony of respect for Christian values in what concerns marriage and the family." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 01/06/2012)
- 2013-03-08 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - No to the exploitation of gold in Matagalpa, the clergy’s statement
- 2013-02-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - The new Nuncio: Holy See and Nicaragua together for the common good and for the family
- 2012-12-13 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - 300 000 Nicaraguan children work instead of going to school
- 2012-12-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Nicaragua celebrates 450 years of devotion to Mary
- 2012-11-22 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Challenges to the family in the national reality: a Bishops' letter is being prepared
- 2012-10-05 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Taxi strike blocks the capital, Archbishop appeals for calm and dialogue
- 2012-09-27 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Bishops on the November 4 elections: "an opportunity to reflect on how power is exercised and politics practiced "
- 2012-09-26 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "To become active subjects in the transformation of the country": today the pastoral Letter of the Bishops
- 2012-08-28 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Alarm for the phenomenon of forced pregnancies of young girls and adolescents
- 2012-07-23 AMERICA/NICARAGUA - A course on the Social Doctrine of the Church has been inaugurated at the UCICAM