ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides) - "Abortion is murder": is what the Prime Minister of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during a meeting with groups and women's associations in Turkey. "What is the difference between killing a baby in the womb of a mother and killing a child after birth?" He asked with a rhetorical question. The support for abortion should be seen as "a devious plan to weaken the country." This is why Erdogan announced that his government intends to prepare a law to abolish abortion.
Erdogan also encouraged the people in Turkey to maintain a high birth rate, arguing that population growth helps to strengthen the country economically and socially. The Premier said he was also in favor of a "policy of the three children," urging families to have at least 3 children.
Abortion has been legal in Turkey since 1983, in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Currently the issue of abortion is not a central factor in the political debate: this is why Erdogan's statements were a surprise, and have attracted strong criticism from women and opposition groups. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/5/2012)
- 2014-06-24 - The restoration of the cave church of St. Peter in Antioch is almost complete
- 2014-06-04 - 779 people have converted to Islam so far this year, mostly from Christianity
- 2014-05-31 - ASIA/TURKEY – Mobilisation to reconvert Ayasofya Musem back into a mosque
- 2014-04-25 - The Turks also celebrate St. John XXIII
- 2014-04-07 - Deputy Prime Minister assures: soon a regulation on the Foundations of minorities
- 2014-02-27 - ASIA/TURKEY – Restitution of lands to Syrian Orthodox Mor Gabriel Monastery completed
- 2013-12-18 - Turkish Minister to Armenians: Return to Turkey
- 2013-11-28 - The oldest Christian place of worship will become a mosque in Istanbul
- 2013-11-25 - Protestant Christian Pastor arrested on false charges of human trafficking
- 2013-11-22 - Armenian courses for «crypto-Armenians»