ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides) - "Abortion is murder": is what the Prime Minister of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during a meeting with groups and women's associations in Turkey. "What is the difference between killing a baby in the womb of a mother and killing a child after birth?" He asked with a rhetorical question. The support for abortion should be seen as "a devious plan to weaken the country." This is why Erdogan announced that his government intends to prepare a law to abolish abortion.
Erdogan also encouraged the people in Turkey to maintain a high birth rate, arguing that population growth helps to strengthen the country economically and socially. The Premier said he was also in favor of a "policy of the three children," urging families to have at least 3 children.
Abortion has been legal in Turkey since 1983, in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Currently the issue of abortion is not a central factor in the political debate: this is why Erdogan's statements were a surprise, and have attracted strong criticism from women and opposition groups. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/5/2012)
- 2013-05-08 ASIA/TURKEY - A "Turkish plan" for Syriac Christians?
- 2013-04-09 ASIA/TURKEY - Mass influx of Assyrian Christians fleeing the Syrian conflict
- 2013-03-08 ASIA/TURKEY - Block the election bodies that administer the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-02-27 ASIA/TURKEY - A Protestant Pastor expelled, another escaped an attack
- 2013-01-24 ASIA/TURKEY - The Turkish authorities restructure the Foundations linked to religious minorities
- 2013-01-04 ASIA/TURKEY - The campaign to regain the relics of St. Nicholas of Myra restarts
- 2012-12-18 ASIA/TURKEY - Catholic Bishops’ spokesman controverts the Turkish press on "Vatican Archives and the Armenian Issue"
- 2012-05-30 ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
- 2012-05-10 ASIA/TURKEY - Distorted translation of the Gospel, to make it "close to Muslims"-Christians protest
- 2012-04-17 ASIA/TURKEY - The Churches: may the new Constitution be "like a mother who embraces all her children"