ASIA/TURKEY - Prime Minister Erdogan. "Abortion is murder, yes to the law to abolish it"
Istanbul (Agenzia Fides) - "Abortion is murder": is what the Prime Minister of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan said during a meeting with groups and women's associations in Turkey. "What is the difference between killing a baby in the womb of a mother and killing a child after birth?" He asked with a rhetorical question. The support for abortion should be seen as "a devious plan to weaken the country." This is why Erdogan announced that his government intends to prepare a law to abolish abortion.
Erdogan also encouraged the people in Turkey to maintain a high birth rate, arguing that population growth helps to strengthen the country economically and socially. The Premier said he was also in favor of a "policy of the three children," urging families to have at least 3 children.
Abortion has been legal in Turkey since 1983, in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Currently the issue of abortion is not a central factor in the political debate: this is why Erdogan's statements were a surprise, and have attracted strong criticism from women and opposition groups. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/5/2012)
- 2015-04-20 - Advisor of the Turkish prime minister who had spoken of the Armenian Genocide has resigned
- 2015-04-16 - ASIA/TURKEY – Even the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople will commemorate the victims of the Genocide
- 2015-04-09 - A "hunger strike" to draw attention on the centenary of the Assyrian Genocide
- 2015-03-24 - No ringing of bells for the Armenian churches in the Turkish territory for the hundred years since the Genocide
- 2015-01-30 - Turkish Court orders the return of land to a Christian Foundation
- 2015-01-27 - ASIA/TURKEY – Other three people accused of the massacre of Christians in Malatya have been released from prison
- 2015-01-19 - For Armenians: Erdogan's invitation to President Sarkysian for the centenary of the battle of Gallipoli is a provocation
- 2014-12-12 - Turkish historians working to refute reconstructions of the Armenian Genocide of 1915
- 2014-11-04 - Christian schools subsidized by the State increase
- 2014-10-27 - Armenians discuss the election of a new patriarch