AMERICA/HONDURAS - The plight of migrants repatriated by force to their country
Toncontin (Agenzia Fides) - "Poverty, social status and violence are the factors that continue to push our compatriots to leave the country, following a dangerous path, full of pain and suffering," said Sister Valdete Wilemann, Chief for the Returning Migrants Center (CAMR), which is located near Toncontin airport, Honduras, describing the plight of people seeking a new life abroad, but are then forcibly repatriated to their country.
The nun said that this year the deportation of migrants compared to last year has increased: "We have recorded an increase of 10.46 percent of expulsions by air, which means that about 2,500 people have returned compared to last year ".
According to Sister Valdete migrants flee because of corruption and extortion of whom they are victims in Honduras, and then fall into the networks of traffickers operating in Guatemala and Mexico, obliged stop to reach the United States by land.
According to what is communicated to our Agency by the weekly Fides in Honduras, citing data collected by the Pastoral Care of Human Mobility, 1,500 Honduran families are in search of relatives who disappeared during the "voyages of hope" to North America.
Sister Valdete belongs to the Scalabrini Missionary Sisters, who are responsible for the Pastoral Care of Human Mobility at a national level. The congregation also runs three reception centers for deported migrants.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/5/2012)
- 2013-05-08 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Banda Calle 18 is willing to sign a peace pact, waiting for the government's response
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Stop weapons," says the Church in the Country with the highest murder rate in the world
- 2013-05-03 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Also in Honduras the aim is to reach a truce between gangs following the example of El Salvador
- 2013-03-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "March for Peace", a traditional Via Crucis to stop the violence in the country
- 2013-03-15 AMERICA/HONDURAS - The Pastoral Care of Migrants also involves the parishes
- 2013-03-05 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "The participation of citizens in political life, frees people from violence," the Bishops’ message
- 2013-03-04 AMERICA/HONDURAS - "Do not forget the poor," the church calls for new social order
- 2013-02-21 AMERICA/HONDURAS - 520 women murdered in 2012
- 2013-02-12 AMERICA/HONDURAS - After 438 years the parish of Carmel comes back to life
- 2013-01-25 AMERICA/HONDURAS - Joint project for families living in extreme poverty