AMERICA/ARGENTINA -Bishops to the government: "Stop corruption, we need to fight poverty"
Bariloche (Agenzia Fides) - The Church in Argentina asks the government increased efforts to stop corruption and fight poverty. On the occasion of Argentina's national day of independence, on May 25, during the celebration of the "Te Deum", Mgr. Fernando Maletti, Bishop of the Diocese of San Carlos de Bariloche, has invited politicians not to be selfish, not to consider "only the accumulation of material goods, without opening to solidarity with others." In his homily, sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Maletti said: "Our nation is a gift of God, we are 'condemned' to live together, but we are called to live with others: hence the word live together" . The Argentine Bishops – he remarked - have contributed to the reflection on the future of the country: "We believe that the national priority is to eradicate poverty and to propose a comprehensive development for all. We want to live up to this historic challenge through justice and social inclusion, and this depends on the commitment of each Argentine."
Moreover, in the capital, in a packed cathedral, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires, warned about the levels of corruption in the country. As reported to Fides, the Cardinal said, "This prevents to build the country- project" and asked to convene national dialogue, which means "to listen, give up, to recognize their mistakes and failures." In his homily, the Cardinal urged political leaders to self-criticism: "No one wants to acknowledge what has happened and debts to be paid because of corruption. We are about to corrode social trust and must search one’s soul. Why such indifference towards the weak in society? " He concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/5/2012)
- 2013-05-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - 4 out of 10 children are extremely poor and deprived of basic necessities
- 2013-05-07 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Minor workers engaged in heavy activity and at risk
- 2013-04-18 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - " Pastoral ministry should always be missionary," Pope Francis’ message to his brother Argentinian bishops
- 2013-04-17 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops to the government: "More consultations on reforms, or democracy weakens "
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The action of young people in storms was a "silent revolution," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - More than 50 victims due to the torrential rains in Buenos Aires
- 2013-04-04 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Bishops of Patagonia: "social peace can be reached with the participation of all"
- 2013-03-25 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - "Gestures that are potentially prophetic"
- 2013-03-14 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - The joy and the prayer of Pope Francis’ compatriots
- 2013-02-22 AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Education in the faith in schools: commitment of teachers