AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Mother's Day against Domestic Violence
Santiago de los Caballeros (Agenzia Fides) - Mother's Day, which the population of the Dominican Republic celebrates on the last Sunday in May is an opportunity to relieve the longstanding problem of domestic violence: So says the local Catholic Church, expressing serious concern about the amount of cases of domestic violence, sometimes murder. Many disputes between family members, often children against their parents, result in violent acts, which are spreading and are more frequent in the country.
As reported to Fides, the alarm on the phenomenon was raised by the Catholic weekly "Camino," which says: "The situation is dangerous, because it indicates that we are moving towards a moral abyss and we are on the threshold of a social crisis." Even the Bishops of the country, in the message to the country published in January (see Fides 19/01/2012) stated: "The great modern crisis is human and moral. We are concerned because now this crisis is rooted in the national soul. Herein lies the cause of the widespread violence that surrounds us, from the growing violence against women and against the family."
Faced with such a picture of domestic violence, the Church appeals to the faithful with the slogan "Family and fraternity will change society," which is the theme proposed by the Catholic Church for the pastoral plan for the current year. "The means of communication allow us to be witnesses of beautiful, tender and sympathetic facts, that occur anywhere on the planet. But lead into the house even harrowing and perverse crimes," reads the text that illustrates the theme of the pastoral year. For this reason the Church invites all people of good will to implement actions to return to the respect for life, the protection of human dignity, the values of love and mutual service, lived in the family.
In the last decade, the Dominican Republic criminality has nearly doubled, according to analysts, is attributed to easy access to guns, violence linked to drug trafficking and social inequality. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 26/5/2012)
- 2013-04-16 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The amount of drug that passes throughout our Country is alarming," denounces Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez
- 2013-03-26 AMERICA/REP. SANTO DOMINGO - Hope for the inhabitants of bateye living in extreme poverty
- 2013-01-18 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - In the Year of Faith "We urge people to appreciate, and respect our women": Bishops' Pastoral Letter for the Feast of Our Lady of Altagracia
- 2013-01-14 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Campaign against illiteracy: The Church supports the initiative in favor of 850 thousand people
- 2013-01-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Crisis at the border with Haiti: Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez calls for government intervention
- 2013-01-08 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Literacy plan to eradicate poverty
- 2012-11-27 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A " Ministry of the Family ": the Church’s request to the government
- 2012-10-30 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "Stop violence against women" asks Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez at the end of the Mariana March
- 2012-10-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - There is always a high number of children who lose their basic right because not registered
- 2012-09-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of the Episcopal Conference