ASIA/SINGAPORE-Pentecost: a "Spring of the Spirit" for the new evangelization
Singapore (Agenzia Fides) - The theme for the celebration of the day of Pentecost will be the new "Spring of the Spirit", which takes place tomorrow, May 27, at the Church of Christ King in Singapore. The island's Catholic faithful will gather to pray and praise God and, after a prayer of praise, the solemn Mass of Pentecost will be presided by Archbishop Nicholas Chia.
In this way the island's Catholic community celebrates what is defined as "the birthday of the Church", the day in which one commemorates the gift of the Holy Spirit, left by Jesus to the apostles.
The "Spring of the spirit", the local Church refers to Fides, is linked to a commitment to evangelism, which is giving important fruits in Singapore. "Every baptized person is an evangelist, this is our response as daughters and sons of God," said the Archbishop recently, by participating in initiatives of the "Team for the New Evangelization" (NET), a group of lay people involved in local churches for missionary animation, especially of the laity. "To evangelize is to attract people to the truth, communicate the Word of God and the values of the Gospel," remarked Archbishop Chia.
According to a government census, in 2010, the Christian religion in Singapore has grown stronger over the past 10 years, and Christians are currently 18% of the population, an increase of 3% compared to 2000. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/5/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - Archbishop Goh: Easter invites us to "proclaim the Gospel with joy and passion"
- 2014-03-07 - "Time of compassion": Archbishop Goh’s message for Lent
- 2014-02-18 - Archbishop Goh: "Sanctify work with prayer"
- 2014-01-10 - "Accompanying and evangelizing young people" : Archbishop Goh’s Message
- 2013-07-26 - The "social WYD" Christian Baptists, in communion with the Pope in Rio
- 2013-05-21 - "Spirituality of communion": the new Archbishop’s manifesto
- 2012-10-16 - An orphanage in Laos and a school in Vietnam: two projects for disadvantaged children
- 2012-05-26 - Pentecost: a "Spring of the Spirit" for the new evangelization
- 2011-09-17 - The Christians to the new President: it is urgent to stop human trafficking
- 2011-08-22 - Evangelization through mass-media: the initiative of young people in Singapore after World Youth Day