AFRICA/MALI-Confusion in Bamako, while on the border with Burkina Faso 25 people have died in inter-community clashes
Bamako (Agenzia Fides)-There is a confusing situation in Mali, after the announcement by the Coordinating Committee of Patriotic Organizations of Mali (COPAM, an abbreviation that brings together supporters of the coup leaders) that want to "invest" as President, Captain Amadou Sanogo Haya, the head of the military junta that had seized power with the coup on 22 March (see Fides 24/05/2012).
In reality, the ceremony of "inauguration", scheduled on May 24, was not held. Haya Sanogo has not yet taken an official position on the announcement of COPAM. The head of the former military junta has been seen to recognize the prerogatives of the former Head of State of the May 20 agreement, signed by the military coup, by the interim authorities in Bamako and the ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States). The agreement provides for a transitional period of one year with Dioncounda Traore as President. He is currently in France for medical treatment after being attacked in the presidential palace by some COPAM supporters on May 21 (see Fides 22/05/2012). No one knows when he will return to Mali.
Meanwhile, a disturbing fact has occurred in a Malian village on the border with Burkina Faso. At least 25 farmers of ethnic Peuls originating from Burkina Faso, were killed in Sari (central Mali) during clashes with Malian farmers of Dogon ethnic group. The massacre, which originates in the atavistic clash between farmers and herders, however, is a warning on the weakness of the authorities of Mali, that, after losing control of the north (in the hands of various armed groups), does not seem to be able to ensure safety even in areas still under their power. Given the instability of the area, several hundred Peuls originating in Burkina Faso have returned home. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/5/2012)
- 2013-09-06 AFRICA/MALI - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 AFRICA/MALI - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 AFRICA/MALI - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 AFRICA/MALI - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis
- 2013-06-24 AFRICA/MALI - Meeting of Caritas on the humanitarian crisis in Mali
- 2013-06-19 AFRICA/MALI - Mixed reactions to the peace agreement for Kidal
- 2013-04-29 AFRICA/MALI – The situation improves but the plight of displaced persons and refugees is not forgotten
- 2013-04-10 AFRICA/MALI - Refugees, food shortages and mine clearance: new emergencies in the Country
- 2013-03-07 AFRICA/MALI - The population of Mali finds hope again