ASIA/VIETNAM-A Jesuit: "Education and the fight against corruption, priorities for the country"
Ho Chi Minh City (Agenzia Fides) - The government should focus on education in the coming years, on the fight against corruption, on a legislative reform and on the protection of ethnic minorities and environment: So says the Jesuit Fr. Anthony Ba, SJ, in service at the study Center "Alberto Hurtado" of the Society of Jesus in Ho Chi Minh City. The Centre offers analysis at a political, economic, sociological, technological, legal and environmental level.
According to a study prepared by Fr. Anthony Ba and sent to Fides Agency, Vietnam, thanks to a strategic development plan, has achieved some important goals, but still many difficulties and challenges remain. The priorities at a social level in Vietnam are education, the use of human resources and employment, the difficulties of ethnic minority groups, immigration issues, as well as issues related to the presence of Catholicism, live ferment in the Vietnamese society.
In the educational field, the Catholic community hopes to soon have the opportunity to more effort, setting up schools and universities, to contribute significantly to the development of the country. Also because education is one of the key sectors for the future of young generations.
Fr Ba said: "There are some major issues that the government should face in the coming years: first of all the education reform and the fight against corruption, in particular by promoting fiscal transparency and public availability of economic data and information. Then there is the reform of state sectors, reducing the gap between the main ethnic group and ethnic minority groups, the improvement of environmental conditions." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/5/2012)
- 2014-08-01 - The UN Special Rapporteur: "Serious violations of religious freedom"
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace
- 2014-05-15 - Anti-Chinese protests and violence: civil society and the Catholics ask for non-violence
- 2014-05-08 - A Vietnamese priest in the list of the top “100 information heroes”
- 2014-02-12 - Children of ethnic Dao Tien committed to celebrating the Lunar New Year
- 2014-01-17 - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons
- 2013-10-22 - Parliament debates on the revision of the Constitution, on corruption and development