ASIA/VIETNAM-A Jesuit: "Education and the fight against corruption, priorities for the country"
Ho Chi Minh City (Agenzia Fides) - The government should focus on education in the coming years, on the fight against corruption, on a legislative reform and on the protection of ethnic minorities and environment: So says the Jesuit Fr. Anthony Ba, SJ, in service at the study Center "Alberto Hurtado" of the Society of Jesus in Ho Chi Minh City. The Centre offers analysis at a political, economic, sociological, technological, legal and environmental level.
According to a study prepared by Fr. Anthony Ba and sent to Fides Agency, Vietnam, thanks to a strategic development plan, has achieved some important goals, but still many difficulties and challenges remain. The priorities at a social level in Vietnam are education, the use of human resources and employment, the difficulties of ethnic minority groups, immigration issues, as well as issues related to the presence of Catholicism, live ferment in the Vietnamese society.
In the educational field, the Catholic community hopes to soon have the opportunity to more effort, setting up schools and universities, to contribute significantly to the development of the country. Also because education is one of the key sectors for the future of young generations.
Fr Ba said: "There are some major issues that the government should face in the coming years: first of all the education reform and the fight against corruption, in particular by promoting fiscal transparency and public availability of economic data and information. Then there is the reform of state sectors, reducing the gap between the main ethnic group and ethnic minority groups, the improvement of environmental conditions." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 24/5/2012)
- 2014-02-12 - Children of ethnic Dao Tien committed to celebrating the Lunar New Year
- 2014-01-17 - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons
- 2013-10-22 - Parliament debates on the revision of the Constitution, on corruption and development
- 2013-10-09 - Campaign in favor of the poor and populations affected by natural disasters
- 2013-10-09 - More than 60 religious leaders are in prison camps
- 2013-10-07 - Petition of religious leaders for the release of prisoners of conscience
- 2013-09-30 - Three new Jesuit priests for the mission in Vietnam
- 2013-09-19 - Dialogue with the Holy See, tension in the diocese of Vinh
- 2013-07-10 - Year of Faith: visit of the Papal Representative to the nuns of the diocese of Bui Chu
- 2013-07-04 - Cardinal Van Thuan, controversial hero of faith, "for the Vietnamese he is already a saint"