AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) – “The arrival of the small vanguard of the contingent of the CEDEAO did not stir up particular sentiments among the population”, Fr. Davis Sciocco, PIME missionary, and director of Radio Sol Mansa, of Bissau, told the Fides Agency, where yesterday, May 17, the first 70 soldiers from Burkina Faso of the 600 who will be sent from the countries of the Economic Community of the States of West Africa (CEDEAO) to accompany the transition period towards the civil government of the country.
The soldiers from Burkina Faso have been given accommodation in Cumere, 35 Km north- east of Bissau. Soon they will follow other soldiers sent from Nigeria and Senegal. The forces of CEDEAO will take the place of the military mission sent from Angola a year ago. And it is precisely the presence of the Angolan contingent which, according to the soldiers who took over power in the uprising of 12 April, caused the coup d’état.
“We are now waiting for the nomination of the ministers”, Padre Sciocco said. The arrival of the first group of African soldiers took place on the day of the investiture of the new Prime Minister of the transition period, Rui Duarte Barros. Manuel Serifo Mhamadjo was named Head of State on 16 May for the transition period. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/5/2012)
- 2012-12-28 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government
- 2012-05-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Lusophone Countries do not accept the agreement between the coup leaders and the West African States
- 2012-05-09 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Church continues to invest in young people, hope for a better future
- 2012-05-08 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Situation blocked, while the international community studies sanctions against coup plotters