AFRICA/TANZANIA - Heavy rain in the region of Kagera; at least 60 families left without homes
Bukoba (Agenzia Fides) – After 4 consecutive days of uninterrupted rain, at least 60 families in Kagondo, in the district of Muleba, have been left without their homes. The houses have been destroyed by the flooding, the worst in the last 50 years. Some of these families have been temporary accommodated in the school buildings. Fortunately there have been no victims and they are not deprived of help, including food and clothes. The residents of the region of Kagera had been alerted of the forthcoming heavy rains. Kagera is noted as one of the most seriously hit regions by the phenomenon, as well as Mwanza, Kigoma, Kilimanjaro, Morogoro, Pemba, Unguja and Tanga. According to the experts these atmospheric disturbances were caused by the increase of low pressure over the Indian Ocean. (AP)
(16/5/2012 Agenzia Fides)
- 2015-11-10 - Start negotiations to overcome the crisis after the cancellation of the vote in Zanzibar
- 2015-10-29 - The elections in Zanzibar revoked due to "serious irregularities"
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery