AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The drama of the deportees, refugees and displaced persons in Southern Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - As Sudan and South Sudan remain on a war footing, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese expelled from Khartoum are coming to Juba, because devoid of residence permits.
On May 14, the first group of 164 people from Khartoum on a flight organized by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) arrived in the southern Sudanese capital, out of a total of 12,000 people expected to leave Sudan in the coming days.
In Sudan, home to hundreds of thousands of south Sudanese who have lost their jobs and do not have permission to stay after the proclamation of the independence of South Sudan, in July 2011.
Among them there are also many people of southern Sudanese descent but were born in northern Sudan and therefore find it difficult, in case of expulsion, to adapt to living in their new Country.
South Sudan will be in charge of the accommodation of these people, finding them accommodation and work.
The instability in which some areas of Southern Sudan live has also forced tens of thousands of inhabitants to flee. In addition to the internally displaced, Juba must take charge of refugees from South Kordofan, state in north Sudan, but whose population fought at the time with the southern Sudanese against the Khartoum regime. According to UN sources there are 100,000 Sudanese refugees welcomed in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
- 2013-05-08 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "We have nothing to do with the fundraising for our cathedral," says the Diocese of Torit
- 2013-04-26 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Our leadership is intact" ensures the Archbishop of Juba
- 2013-04-22 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Even a nurse of the Diocese of Torit among the victims of clashes between military and civilians
- 2013-03-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Death of Bishop of Torit
- 2013-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - From the Nuba Mountains to Uganda to receive new limbs thanks to the Catholic Church
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - About 300 Sudanese refugees arrive in South Sudan every day. The UNHCR is preparing a new refugee camp
- 2013-01-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Childhood penalized, 200,000 children at risk for malnutrition
- 2012-12-06 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
- 2012-12-04 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Somali immigrants accuse the security forces of abuse