AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The drama of the deportees, refugees and displaced persons in Southern Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - As Sudan and South Sudan remain on a war footing, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese expelled from Khartoum are coming to Juba, because devoid of residence permits.
On May 14, the first group of 164 people from Khartoum on a flight organized by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) arrived in the southern Sudanese capital, out of a total of 12,000 people expected to leave Sudan in the coming days.
In Sudan, home to hundreds of thousands of south Sudanese who have lost their jobs and do not have permission to stay after the proclamation of the independence of South Sudan, in July 2011.
Among them there are also many people of southern Sudanese descent but were born in northern Sudan and therefore find it difficult, in case of expulsion, to adapt to living in their new Country.
South Sudan will be in charge of the accommodation of these people, finding them accommodation and work.
The instability in which some areas of Southern Sudan live has also forced tens of thousands of inhabitants to flee. In addition to the internally displaced, Juba must take charge of refugees from South Kordofan, state in north Sudan, but whose population fought at the time with the southern Sudanese against the Khartoum regime. According to UN sources there are 100,000 Sudanese refugees welcomed in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda