AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The drama of the deportees, refugees and displaced persons in Southern Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - As Sudan and South Sudan remain on a war footing, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese expelled from Khartoum are coming to Juba, because devoid of residence permits.
On May 14, the first group of 164 people from Khartoum on a flight organized by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) arrived in the southern Sudanese capital, out of a total of 12,000 people expected to leave Sudan in the coming days.
In Sudan, home to hundreds of thousands of south Sudanese who have lost their jobs and do not have permission to stay after the proclamation of the independence of South Sudan, in July 2011.
Among them there are also many people of southern Sudanese descent but were born in northern Sudan and therefore find it difficult, in case of expulsion, to adapt to living in their new Country.
South Sudan will be in charge of the accommodation of these people, finding them accommodation and work.
The instability in which some areas of Southern Sudan live has also forced tens of thousands of inhabitants to flee. In addition to the internally displaced, Juba must take charge of refugees from South Kordofan, state in north Sudan, but whose population fought at the time with the southern Sudanese against the Khartoum regime. According to UN sources there are 100,000 Sudanese refugees welcomed in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
- 2015-11-09 - Violence, food insecurity, malnutrition: the population is exhausted
- 2015-11-04 - "South Sudan is not prepared to deal with terrorist infiltration"
- 2015-11-03 - Appeals from religious leaders regarding the fate of 80,000 displaced people in the woods
- 2015-11-03 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – The civil war continues to penalize the population: now the aim is survival
- 2015-10-20 - Apostolic Administrator of Torit: "It is more important to implement the peace agreement than create new States"
- 2015-10-08 - Perplexity about the creation of 28 new States
- 2015-10-02 - Malaria: 4,000 cases a week and the death of three children a day
- 2015-09-22 - Women, widows and orphans who live in absolute precariousness continues to increase
- 2015-09-15 - A Comboni Congolese missionary wounded in a road ambush
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country