AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The drama of the deportees, refugees and displaced persons in Southern Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - As Sudan and South Sudan remain on a war footing, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese expelled from Khartoum are coming to Juba, because devoid of residence permits.
On May 14, the first group of 164 people from Khartoum on a flight organized by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) arrived in the southern Sudanese capital, out of a total of 12,000 people expected to leave Sudan in the coming days.
In Sudan, home to hundreds of thousands of south Sudanese who have lost their jobs and do not have permission to stay after the proclamation of the independence of South Sudan, in July 2011.
Among them there are also many people of southern Sudanese descent but were born in northern Sudan and therefore find it difficult, in case of expulsion, to adapt to living in their new Country.
South Sudan will be in charge of the accommodation of these people, finding them accommodation and work.
The instability in which some areas of Southern Sudan live has also forced tens of thousands of inhabitants to flee. In addition to the internally displaced, Juba must take charge of refugees from South Kordofan, state in north Sudan, but whose population fought at the time with the southern Sudanese against the Khartoum regime. According to UN sources there are 100,000 Sudanese refugees welcomed in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan