AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The drama of the deportees, refugees and displaced persons in Southern Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - As Sudan and South Sudan remain on a war footing, tens of thousands of southern Sudanese expelled from Khartoum are coming to Juba, because devoid of residence permits.
On May 14, the first group of 164 people from Khartoum on a flight organized by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) arrived in the southern Sudanese capital, out of a total of 12,000 people expected to leave Sudan in the coming days.
In Sudan, home to hundreds of thousands of south Sudanese who have lost their jobs and do not have permission to stay after the proclamation of the independence of South Sudan, in July 2011.
Among them there are also many people of southern Sudanese descent but were born in northern Sudan and therefore find it difficult, in case of expulsion, to adapt to living in their new Country.
South Sudan will be in charge of the accommodation of these people, finding them accommodation and work.
The instability in which some areas of Southern Sudan live has also forced tens of thousands of inhabitants to flee. In addition to the internally displaced, Juba must take charge of refugees from South Kordofan, state in north Sudan, but whose population fought at the time with the southern Sudanese against the Khartoum regime. According to UN sources there are 100,000 Sudanese refugees welcomed in South Sudan. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"