OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Deacon and midfielder: a life for Jesus, in church, and on the football field
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Faith in Christ and his gospel are always "the rock for his life", both within the walls of a church, and on the grass of a football field: Christian Sieland, 32 years of age, a seminarian from Papua New Guinea who is studying in Rome, was ordained a deacon in Rome on Saturday 12 May. As reported to Fides, for him it was "a memorable weekend ": on the day of his ordination to the diaconate he was also declared "best player" of the tournament "Clericus Cup" a football competition between priests and seminarians in Rome, now in its sixth edition, which was won by the team of the North American Pontifical College.
Christian competed in the team of the Pontifical Urban College, where he resides, and distinguished himself as one of the best midfielders in the tournament, although his team did not reach the final.
He was very happy for the unexpected recognition received in the morning, in the afternoon Christian was ordained deacon in St. Peter's by Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, along with 16 other students of the Pontifical Urban College "de Propaganda Fide", and 4 deacons were ordained priests. The ordained were from Africa, Asia, America and Oceania,
Christian Sieland comes from the diocese of Chimbu and is completing his Bible studies. He should be ordained a priest in Papua New Guinea next year. Christian is of German origin, having been born from a couple of lay Catholic volunteers, who arrived in Papua New Guinea about 50 years ago. His motto is "to follow Jesus and serve him in Papua New Guinea", where there are churches and immense fields where to play. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 15/5/2012)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2013-05-16 ASIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Young pilgrims from Papua ask to pray with the Pope in Rome
- 2013-05-14 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - "Hanging the criminals?": Intense debate on capital punishment
- 2013-05-07 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The social media revolution has arrived in Papua
- 2013-04-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Douglas: "It is urgent to find something better than the death penalty"
- 2013-04-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Bishops to the Prime Minister: fight against corruption and more collaboration between Church and state
- 2013-04-12 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - File - The Church, a precious resource for society
- 2013-04-11 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Bishops bear witness to the faith on social networks
- 2013-02-26 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Muslims in Papua: the new frontier of Islam in Oceania
- 2013-01-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Consecrated people: communication and evangelization via mobile phone
- 2012-12-21 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Christians: a legislative action against polygamy is urgent