ASIA/INDONESIA - In the Year of Faith, the challenges of mission and dialogue, in front of radical Islam
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - "The Year of Faith will be an opportunity to renew the momentum of the mission in Indonesia," says to Fides Fr. Romanus Harjito, O. Carm, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Indonesia, explaining that "mission for us Christians in Indonesia, a minority, is essentially a witness to the faith with their works, love towards one’s neighbor, service, trying to live in society, of which the vast majority are Muslims, the values of the Gospel. "
"The most difficult challenge for Indonesian Christians - he says - is that which comes from the confrontation with radical Islam, which at times turns into acts of hostility and violence against believers. In the daily pastoral care we must always be careful with our initiatives and activities: the radical Islamic groups, although small, are observing us carefully and, if they judge our works as proselytism, they could promote public protests and even violence."
The Indonesian Church, he continues, "is studying in this phase, to build a bridge between the Year of Faith and missionary commitment. In particular, in the coming autumn, the opening of the Year of Faith, a symposium dedicated to the reception of the II Vatican Council in the Indonesian context, so diverse, plural, diversified is expected. From here we can start again to have a stronger faith and a more lively and convincing testimony in Indonesia ". (PA) (14/05/2012)
- 2015-05-22 - It is no longer compulsory to indicate one's religion on identity cards
- 2015-04-20 - Thousands of "invisible" children: without access to education and healthcare
- 2015-04-10 - The rediscovery of the value of assisting the sick
- 2015-03-26 - Violations of human rights of indigenous peoples: first investigation
- 2015-03-05 - Catholic Minister Jonan: in politics with faith, honesty, courage
- 2015-03-02 - Each year 50 thousand deaths due to contaminated water and poor sanitation
- 2015-02-27 - Lenten Mission in the suburbs in Jakarta
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Lay volunteers experience Mission on the Island of Flores
- 2015-02-19 - launch “pluralism and respect for minorities”
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Hopes grow in religious minorities for greater security and more tolerance