ASIA/INDONESIA - In the Year of Faith, the challenges of mission and dialogue, in front of radical Islam
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - "The Year of Faith will be an opportunity to renew the momentum of the mission in Indonesia," says to Fides Fr. Romanus Harjito, O. Carm, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Indonesia, explaining that "mission for us Christians in Indonesia, a minority, is essentially a witness to the faith with their works, love towards one’s neighbor, service, trying to live in society, of which the vast majority are Muslims, the values of the Gospel. "
"The most difficult challenge for Indonesian Christians - he says - is that which comes from the confrontation with radical Islam, which at times turns into acts of hostility and violence against believers. In the daily pastoral care we must always be careful with our initiatives and activities: the radical Islamic groups, although small, are observing us carefully and, if they judge our works as proselytism, they could promote public protests and even violence."
The Indonesian Church, he continues, "is studying in this phase, to build a bridge between the Year of Faith and missionary commitment. In particular, in the coming autumn, the opening of the Year of Faith, a symposium dedicated to the reception of the II Vatican Council in the Indonesian context, so diverse, plural, diversified is expected. From here we can start again to have a stronger faith and a more lively and convincing testimony in Indonesia ". (PA) (14/05/2012)
- 2015-02-27 - Lenten Mission in the suburbs in Jakarta
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Lay volunteers experience Mission on the Island of Flores
- 2015-02-19 - launch “pluralism and respect for minorities”
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Hopes grow in religious minorities for greater security and more tolerance
- 2015-02-16 - ASIA/INDONESIA – New Archbishop of Samarinda appointed
- 2015-02-13 - A Medical mission prepared the first "Day of the Sick" in the history of Flores
- 2015-01-23 - Year of Consecrated Life: the Dominican Family welcomes new laity
- 2014-12-11 - Indonesian Bishops and priests inspired by the Evangelii Gaudium in prayer and action
- 2014-12-04 - “God is present in the family”: joint Christmas Message from Catholic and Protestant leaders
- 2014-11-28 - Archbishop of Semarang: "Serve the common good, beyond religious belief"