ASIA/INDONESIA - In the Year of Faith, the challenges of mission and dialogue, in front of radical Islam
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - "The Year of Faith will be an opportunity to renew the momentum of the mission in Indonesia," says to Fides Fr. Romanus Harjito, O. Carm, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Indonesia, explaining that "mission for us Christians in Indonesia, a minority, is essentially a witness to the faith with their works, love towards one’s neighbor, service, trying to live in society, of which the vast majority are Muslims, the values of the Gospel. "
"The most difficult challenge for Indonesian Christians - he says - is that which comes from the confrontation with radical Islam, which at times turns into acts of hostility and violence against believers. In the daily pastoral care we must always be careful with our initiatives and activities: the radical Islamic groups, although small, are observing us carefully and, if they judge our works as proselytism, they could promote public protests and even violence."
The Indonesian Church, he continues, "is studying in this phase, to build a bridge between the Year of Faith and missionary commitment. In particular, in the coming autumn, the opening of the Year of Faith, a symposium dedicated to the reception of the II Vatican Council in the Indonesian context, so diverse, plural, diversified is expected. From here we can start again to have a stronger faith and a more lively and convincing testimony in Indonesia ". (PA) (14/05/2012)
- 2014-07-24 - Priorities for new president Joko Widodo: stop intolerance and guarantee religious freedom
- 2014-06-17 - Presidential elections, Christians prefer Joko Widodo
- 2014-06-06 - Religious intolerance is a problem in Central Java
- 2014-04-29 - Lawyers and Islamic activists contest the application of the Sharia law to non-Muslims
- 2014-04-10 - The Democrats win: high hopes for Christians after the general election
- 2014-02-26 - “Pluralism endangered” government inertia NGO report
- 2014-02-15 - New decree in Aceh imposes sharia law to non-Muslims
- 2014-01-18 - Widespread religious violence in Indonesia
- 2014-01-10 - Christians are increasing in Aceh, but no permission is given to build churches
- 2014-01-04 - Christian politicians: "Remove one's religious belief from identity cards"