ASIA/INDONESIA - In the Year of Faith, the challenges of mission and dialogue, in front of radical Islam
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - "The Year of Faith will be an opportunity to renew the momentum of the mission in Indonesia," says to Fides Fr. Romanus Harjito, O. Carm, National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societies in Indonesia, explaining that "mission for us Christians in Indonesia, a minority, is essentially a witness to the faith with their works, love towards one’s neighbor, service, trying to live in society, of which the vast majority are Muslims, the values of the Gospel. "
"The most difficult challenge for Indonesian Christians - he says - is that which comes from the confrontation with radical Islam, which at times turns into acts of hostility and violence against believers. In the daily pastoral care we must always be careful with our initiatives and activities: the radical Islamic groups, although small, are observing us carefully and, if they judge our works as proselytism, they could promote public protests and even violence."
The Indonesian Church, he continues, "is studying in this phase, to build a bridge between the Year of Faith and missionary commitment. In particular, in the coming autumn, the opening of the Year of Faith, a symposium dedicated to the reception of the II Vatican Council in the Indonesian context, so diverse, plural, diversified is expected. From here we can start again to have a stronger faith and a more lively and convincing testimony in Indonesia ". (PA) (14/05/2012)
- 2013-05-23 ASIA/INDONESIA - A Jesuit: President Yudhoyono is an accomplice of religious intolerance
- 2013-03-14 ASIA/INDONESIA - The Church in Indonesia near the new Pope: "We hope to promote dialogue with Islam"
- 2013-03-08 ASIA/INDONESIA - Radical Islamic groups: stop to the churches in West Java
- 2013-03-05 ASIA/INDONESIA - Religious Minorities under attack, the indifference of the government: a new Report
- 2013-01-29 ASIA/INDONESIA - New state regulation to stop social and religious conflicts: Bishops approve
- 2013-01-23 ASIA/INDONESIA - Floods and earthquakes: no assistance for victims
- 2012-09-06 ASIA/INDONESIA - Small steps to reduce child malnutrition, but the problem remains very serious
- 2012-07-19 ASIA/INDONESIA - Revival of Jihad: Islamic extremist groups join to regain strength
- 2012-07-17 ASIA/INDONESIA - 150 000 children die every year due to preventable diseases
- 2012-05-31 ASIA/INDONESIA - Churches closed, bans and threats to Christians: religious freedom denied in Sumatra