EUROPE/ITALY - Jesuits: the highest presence is confirmed in South Asia
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - According to information sent to Fides from the General Curia of the Society of Jesus, to 1 January 2012 the total number of Jesuits was 17,637 units, with an overall decrease of 296 members compared to the previous year, confirming that there has been a steady decrease in recent years, although the latter is less marked.
The Jesuits today include 12,526 priests, 1,470 brothers and 2,896 scholastics and 745 novices. The scholastics have increased by (+ 34) in the last year, while priests have decreased (- 203), brothers (- 63) and novices (- 64).
Grouped into 84 Provinces, 5 independent Regions and 10 dependent Regions, the Jesuits are present to a greater extent in South Asia, with 4,036 members, followed by the U.S. province (2547), Southern Europe (2,119), and Central and East Europe (1681), Asia-Pacific (1,649), Western Europe (1603), Africa (1491), Southern Latin America (1265) and Northern Latin America (1246). (SL) (Agenzia Fides 10/5/2012)
- 2013-04-16 EUROPE/ITALY - In the world there are between 5 and 8 million child workers: World Day against Child Slavery
- 2013-03-25 EUROPE/ITALY - 61 million children without education: Global Campaign for Education
- 2013-03-22 EUROPE/ITALY - Safe drinking water is needed where necessary: World Water Day
- 2013-01-26 EUROPE/ITALY - "The Franciscan Missionary": for 80 years has been supporting "those who go" and tells the "wonders" that the Lord works through his envoys
- 2013-01-23 EUROPE/ITALY - The percentage of children affected by leprosy and the stigma that still marginalizes the sick remains high
- 2013-01-14 EUROPE/ITALY - Signs of hope after the tragic earthquake in Haiti
- 2012-11-13 EUROPE/ITALY - Assembly of Bishops of North Africa in Mazara del Vallo: Churches around the Mediterranean called upon to collaborate on Migration and New Evangelization
- 2012-10-18 ASIA/MIDDLE EAST - Christians before the conflicts in the Middle East
- 2012-10-08 EUROPE/ITALY - A conference on St. Massimiliano M. Kolbe, a precursor of the new evangelization
- 2012-07-20 EUROPE/ITALY - Don Alfonso Crippa confirmed as Superior General of the Guanelliani