AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Church continues to invest in young people, hope for a better future
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - The Diocese of Bissau and Bafatá celebrated from May 4 to 6, their "Youth Day". The Auxiliary Bishop of Bissau, His Exc. Mgr. José Lampra Cá, found himself with the young people of his diocese in Farim, while His Exc. Mgr. Pedro Carlos Zilli, Bishop of Bafatá ¸ experienced this event in Buba. According to information sent to Fides from the curia of Bissau, the young people registered for the event of the Diocese of Bissau were 1,029, but it is estimated that actually they were about 1,300. 530 young people from all parishes and missions of the Diocese of Bafatá gathered in Buba. The common theme was that of the XXVII World Youth Day 2012 this year: "Always be joyful in the Lord" (Phil. 4.4), underlining the words of the Pope: "Joy is a central element of Christian experience."
In addition to this theme, in Buba, starting from the Pastoral Letter of Mgr. Zilli, "Hope does not disappoint," there was also a moment of reflection on: "Young people, hope for a better Guinea." The youth of the diocese of Bafatá were introduced in the climate of the next World Youth Day in Rio de Janeiro, in 2013, as the official logo and theme was presented: "Go and make disciples of all nations" (cf. Mt 28 , 19). The days were punctuated by moments of reflection, a musical competition, an intense prayer and Mass.
At the end of the Mass of World Youth Day in Buba, on Sunday, May 6, Mgr. Pedro Zilli highlighted that "the Days of Youth in Farim and Bafata reveal that, despite the difficulties caused by the military coup of April 12, our young continue to believe in new possibilities more in tune with the dignity of Guineans, and that religious freedom is deeply respected in our beloved country. They show that the Church, through the dioceses, parishes and commissions, continues to invest in young people, hope for a better future." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 09/05/2012)
- 2013-12-09 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government
- 2012-05-14 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Lusophone Countries do not accept the agreement between the coup leaders and the West African States
- 2012-05-09 AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - The Church continues to invest in young people, hope for a better future