AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Situation blocked, while the international community studies sanctions against coup plotters
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation remains blocked both at a domestic political and international level," says to Fides father David Sciocco, PIME missionary and director of Radio Sol Mansi, from Bissau. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has presented a plan for the restoration of law after the military coup on April 12, which has precipitated Guinea Bissau in a new crisis. "The problem - says Fr. Sciocco- is that the plan of ECOWAS was not accepted by all. From this comes the domestic and international political deadlock."
The international institutions more involved in the crisis in Guinea Bissau, in addition to ECOWAS are the UN and the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP). The latter presented to the UN Security Council the request to impose sanctions against the military junta.
In this regard, Fr. Sciocco notes that "apart from those of the EU towards military coup, specific sanctions against the country have not been imposed." The ECOWAS had decided in principle to send a military force to the Country, but, as Fr. Sciocco notes, "from past experience it takes at least 4 months before finding the funds and troops to be sent."
The international impasse reflects therefore on the international political plan, where the 5 parties represented in Parliament, another score are added, although several parties have formed an alliance called "democratic opposition".
In the meantime, while the payment of salaries to civil servants remains blocked, the export of cashew, the main source of income in Guinea Bissau has started again.
"A sign of hope was offered by the youth days that were organized by the local Church on Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 May, which saw a good participation of the faithful" concludes the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/05/2012)
- 2014-04-12 - The Bishops on the eve of the election: vote for those who promote the common good
- 2014-04-11 - Presidential and parliamentary elections will be held on Sunday
- 2013-12-09 - On December 13, National Day of Prayer and Fasting for Peace convened by the Bishops
- 2012-12-28 - Rediscovering our faith and witnessing it in society: letter from the Bishop of Bissau
- 2012-11-14 - Cholera outbreak: lack of health facilities and functional water systems
- 2012-10-22 - Allegations to Portugal for the assault against the barracks, so "the isolation of the Country accentuates"
- 2012-10-02 - October 13 - opening of the Year of Faith; "Maria, increase our faith" theme of the 8 December pilgrimage
- 2012-09-24 - Bishop of Bissau's appeal: "we urgently need medicines for tuberculosis and AIDS"
- 2012-08-27 - Missionary experience of the Youth Movement to Build
- 2012-05-18 - The first soldiers of the CEDEAO have arrived , expectation for the formation of the transition government