AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - No one should die any more when giving birth: new public health project to reduce maternal and infant mortality
Wolisso (Agenzia Fides) - A new public health project to reduce maternal and infant mortality in 4 African countries has just been inaugurated in Wolisso, in Ethiopia. Funded by the Italian Cooperation, and launched in January 2012 by the Doctors organization with Africa Cuamm, the service was launched by the Health post of Walu Soma, one of 86 peripheral units operating in the territory of Wolisso, and is also offered to remote communities. The opening ceremony was held at St. Luke's Hospital, founded in 2000 as a gift of the Italian Episcopal Conference to the Ethiopian Church, and directed by Cuamm, it carries out more than 74 000 outpatient visits annually, almost 10 000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deliveries. The objective is to achieve a common goal: no one should die when giving birth. A commitment in an area of over one million inhabitants, among the poorest in the world. "Giving birth at home should be a choice not a painful necessity for lack of money or services," said the Minister of Health of Ethiopia, thanking for the great initiative. Even the President of the Episcopal Conference of Ethiopia and Eritrea, His Exc. Mgr. Souraphiel Berhaneyesus Dmerew, expressed the need to give priority to mothers, children, the poor, as well as gratitude for this new program, ensuring better cooperation between government and Church. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2012)
- 2013-04-30 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Catholic Church in Ethiopia is a small reality appreciated by all
- 2013-03-22 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Conflicts, floods, migration leading causes of early school drop-out
- 2013-02-13 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - The Apostolic Prefect of Robe to the faithful: "Let us show how much we love and we care about our Mother Church"
- 2013-02-01 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - One of the five countries in the world where there is 50% of maternal mortality
- 2013-01-08 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Orthodox Christmas celebrated in the small community of Adaba
- 2012-11-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo
- 2012-09-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Ethiopian New Year 2005: "We must pray for peace, justice, prosperity and be ready to any event without fear, strong in faith and hope"
- 2012-08-21 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - A difficult phase for the succession of Premier Zenawi begins
- 2012-08-10 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Addis Ababa and Nairobi work together to avoid new tribal clashes along the common border
- 2012-08-09 AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - Over 800 child beggars receive an education thanks to the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul