AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - No one should die any more when giving birth: new public health project to reduce maternal and infant mortality
Wolisso (Agenzia Fides) - A new public health project to reduce maternal and infant mortality in 4 African countries has just been inaugurated in Wolisso, in Ethiopia. Funded by the Italian Cooperation, and launched in January 2012 by the Doctors organization with Africa Cuamm, the service was launched by the Health post of Walu Soma, one of 86 peripheral units operating in the territory of Wolisso, and is also offered to remote communities. The opening ceremony was held at St. Luke's Hospital, founded in 2000 as a gift of the Italian Episcopal Conference to the Ethiopian Church, and directed by Cuamm, it carries out more than 74 000 outpatient visits annually, almost 10 000 hospitalizations and 3,000 deliveries. The objective is to achieve a common goal: no one should die when giving birth. A commitment in an area of over one million inhabitants, among the poorest in the world. "Giving birth at home should be a choice not a painful necessity for lack of money or services," said the Minister of Health of Ethiopia, thanking for the great initiative. Even the President of the Episcopal Conference of Ethiopia and Eritrea, His Exc. Mgr. Souraphiel Berhaneyesus Dmerew, expressed the need to give priority to mothers, children, the poor, as well as gratitude for this new program, ensuring better cooperation between government and Church. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2012)
- 2015-04-24 - The Bishops: "We plead to the human traffickers who are tricking the youth to leave their country through illegal means to stop their acts"
- 2015-04-14 - Easter resurrection and the birth of twins in one of the most forgotten areas in the world
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system