AMERICA/PERU - San Martin de Porres: 50 years after the canonization of the patron of social justice
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, the Dominicans (OP), Order to which he belonged, have prepared a special program to celebrate this event with initiatives that will last until December. The note sent by the Episcopal Conference of Peru to Fides informs that the celebrations began on Saturday, May 5, when for the first time in history, the relics of St. Martin de Porres left the Convent of Santo Domingo to be brought to procession in the Cathedral of Lima. In the days following the relics will reach the main cities of Peru. On Sunday, May 6, a solemn Mass was held in the Cathedral of Lima, presided by Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne, Archbishop of Lima. After Mass, a crowded procession was seen on the principal streets of Lima.
As part of the celebrations, on May 5 an iconographic exhibition on San Martin de Porres was opened at the Convent of the Holy Rosary. In addition, on May 11, the presentation of the book "Iconography of St. Martin de Porres" will take place in the same convent.
St. Martin de Porres (1579-1639) was canonized in Rome by Blessed Pope John XXIII, on May 6, 1962, called "Martin of Charity" and declared "Patron of Social Justice." The Dominicans have prepared a series of special events to be held until December 9, aiming to highlight the Christian life and religious, charity, justice and truth of the "Holy Moreno". St. Martin de Porres is well known in America as the "Saint of the Broom," he was the first black saint, as he was the illegitimate son of a Spanish aristocrat and a former black slave of African origin. The Holy Father Benedict XVI, after Marian prayer of the Regina Caeli yesterday, Sunday, May 6, said in Spanish: "Today we remember the fiftieth anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, we ask him to intercede for the work of new evangelization, so holiness may flourish in the Church." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2012)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation