AMERICA/PERU - San Martin de Porres: 50 years after the canonization of the patron of social justice
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, the Dominicans (OP), Order to which he belonged, have prepared a special program to celebrate this event with initiatives that will last until December. The note sent by the Episcopal Conference of Peru to Fides informs that the celebrations began on Saturday, May 5, when for the first time in history, the relics of St. Martin de Porres left the Convent of Santo Domingo to be brought to procession in the Cathedral of Lima. In the days following the relics will reach the main cities of Peru. On Sunday, May 6, a solemn Mass was held in the Cathedral of Lima, presided by Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne, Archbishop of Lima. After Mass, a crowded procession was seen on the principal streets of Lima.
As part of the celebrations, on May 5 an iconographic exhibition on San Martin de Porres was opened at the Convent of the Holy Rosary. In addition, on May 11, the presentation of the book "Iconography of St. Martin de Porres" will take place in the same convent.
St. Martin de Porres (1579-1639) was canonized in Rome by Blessed Pope John XXIII, on May 6, 1962, called "Martin of Charity" and declared "Patron of Social Justice." The Dominicans have prepared a series of special events to be held until December 9, aiming to highlight the Christian life and religious, charity, justice and truth of the "Holy Moreno". St. Martin de Porres is well known in America as the "Saint of the Broom," he was the first black saint, as he was the illegitimate son of a Spanish aristocrat and a former black slave of African origin. The Holy Father Benedict XVI, after Marian prayer of the Regina Caeli yesterday, Sunday, May 6, said in Spanish: "Today we remember the fiftieth anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, we ask him to intercede for the work of new evangelization, so holiness may flourish in the Church." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2012)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"