AMERICA/PERU - San Martin de Porres: 50 years after the canonization of the patron of social justice
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, the Dominicans (OP), Order to which he belonged, have prepared a special program to celebrate this event with initiatives that will last until December. The note sent by the Episcopal Conference of Peru to Fides informs that the celebrations began on Saturday, May 5, when for the first time in history, the relics of St. Martin de Porres left the Convent of Santo Domingo to be brought to procession in the Cathedral of Lima. In the days following the relics will reach the main cities of Peru. On Sunday, May 6, a solemn Mass was held in the Cathedral of Lima, presided by Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani Thorne, Archbishop of Lima. After Mass, a crowded procession was seen on the principal streets of Lima.
As part of the celebrations, on May 5 an iconographic exhibition on San Martin de Porres was opened at the Convent of the Holy Rosary. In addition, on May 11, the presentation of the book "Iconography of St. Martin de Porres" will take place in the same convent.
St. Martin de Porres (1579-1639) was canonized in Rome by Blessed Pope John XXIII, on May 6, 1962, called "Martin of Charity" and declared "Patron of Social Justice." The Dominicans have prepared a series of special events to be held until December 9, aiming to highlight the Christian life and religious, charity, justice and truth of the "Holy Moreno". St. Martin de Porres is well known in America as the "Saint of the Broom," he was the first black saint, as he was the illegitimate son of a Spanish aristocrat and a former black slave of African origin. The Holy Father Benedict XVI, after Marian prayer of the Regina Caeli yesterday, Sunday, May 6, said in Spanish: "Today we remember the fiftieth anniversary of the canonization of St. Martin de Porres, we ask him to intercede for the work of new evangelization, so holiness may flourish in the Church." (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/05/2012)
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/PERU - Exclusion and discrimination, but also struggle and resistance for indigenous women around the world
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/PERU - 5,000 malnourished children in the province of Santa
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - In one year children working and living on the streets have increased by 200%
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - Also the indigenous children Kukama took part in the "TINKUY 2013"
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Migrants' Day, October - month of the Lord of Miracles
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
- 2013-10-04 AMERICA/PERU - "Share your faith ... and also your bread": missionary month in the sign of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/PERU - Children and women exploited in sweatshops in the Amazon
- 2013-09-25 AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors