ASIA/SYRIA - The Church: hope for a "credible UN mission"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "Our hope is that the UN Mission of Observers is credible, fair, independent and restores peace with regards to the situation. We call on all warring parties to accept the UN Observers, who come without any special interests, and to facilitate their work. We hope that no-one is 'afraid' of their work." This is the appeal launched through Fides by Monsignor Giuseppe Nazzaro, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Aleppo, who expresses the wishes of the Syrian Church on the UN Mission of Observers.
On recent unrest at the University of Aleppo, the Bishop explains to Fides: "My residence is 150 meters from the campus: I heard the shots. According to some, it seems that hired gunmen were involved, from Libya and Afghanistan: this would complicate an already very difficult situation, and would confirm that the conflict in Syria is at the center of an international geopolitical game." Meanwhile, he notes, "the Syrian population continues to suffer due to the conflict, especially for the embargo which is reflected on the people: poverty also increases because of the climate of insecurity."
The Bishop would like to point out that "as in all conflicts, an important part is played in terms of information and propaganda: it is essential to have correct and transparent information, on behalf of local and international media, as we also said in the message of the recent Syrian Bishops' meeting." The Vicar hopes that "the message will serve to shake Syria and all the international protagonists and give a real chance for peace." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/05/2012)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus