ASIA/SYRIA - The Church: hope for a "credible UN mission"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "Our hope is that the UN Mission of Observers is credible, fair, independent and restores peace with regards to the situation. We call on all warring parties to accept the UN Observers, who come without any special interests, and to facilitate their work. We hope that no-one is 'afraid' of their work." This is the appeal launched through Fides by Monsignor Giuseppe Nazzaro, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Aleppo, who expresses the wishes of the Syrian Church on the UN Mission of Observers.
On recent unrest at the University of Aleppo, the Bishop explains to Fides: "My residence is 150 meters from the campus: I heard the shots. According to some, it seems that hired gunmen were involved, from Libya and Afghanistan: this would complicate an already very difficult situation, and would confirm that the conflict in Syria is at the center of an international geopolitical game." Meanwhile, he notes, "the Syrian population continues to suffer due to the conflict, especially for the embargo which is reflected on the people: poverty also increases because of the climate of insecurity."
The Bishop would like to point out that "as in all conflicts, an important part is played in terms of information and propaganda: it is essential to have correct and transparent information, on behalf of local and international media, as we also said in the message of the recent Syrian Bishops' meeting." The Vicar hopes that "the message will serve to shake Syria and all the international protagonists and give a real chance for peace." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/05/2012)
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
- 2013-12-09 ASIA/SYRIA - The monastic Community in Deir Mar Musa works for reconciliation
- 2013-12-07 ASIA/SYRIA - The nuns of Maalula, the Lebanese security chief in Qatar to try and find a solution
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/SYRIA - Conflicting statements on the issue of the Sisters of Maalula
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III: "True martyrs in Maalula"
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/SYRIA - Maalula again occupied by the rebels
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/SYRIA - A parish priest: "The exodus of civil Christians from Qara, invaded by foreign jihadists"
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: Europe must not close its doors to Syrian refugees
- 2013-11-25 ASIA/SYRIA - The village of Deir Atieh invaded by Islamists: Christians identified and detained
- 2013-11-23 ASIA/SYRIA - Birth of the Islamic Front. Patriarch Gregorios III: they certainly do not fight for democracy