ASIA/SYRIA - The Church: hope for a "credible UN mission"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "Our hope is that the UN Mission of Observers is credible, fair, independent and restores peace with regards to the situation. We call on all warring parties to accept the UN Observers, who come without any special interests, and to facilitate their work. We hope that no-one is 'afraid' of their work." This is the appeal launched through Fides by Monsignor Giuseppe Nazzaro, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Aleppo, who expresses the wishes of the Syrian Church on the UN Mission of Observers.
On recent unrest at the University of Aleppo, the Bishop explains to Fides: "My residence is 150 meters from the campus: I heard the shots. According to some, it seems that hired gunmen were involved, from Libya and Afghanistan: this would complicate an already very difficult situation, and would confirm that the conflict in Syria is at the center of an international geopolitical game." Meanwhile, he notes, "the Syrian population continues to suffer due to the conflict, especially for the embargo which is reflected on the people: poverty also increases because of the climate of insecurity."
The Bishop would like to point out that "as in all conflicts, an important part is played in terms of information and propaganda: it is essential to have correct and transparent information, on behalf of local and international media, as we also said in the message of the recent Syrian Bishops' meeting." The Vicar hopes that "the message will serve to shake Syria and all the international protagonists and give a real chance for peace." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/05/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees