ASIA/SYRIA - The Church: hope for a "credible UN mission"
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "Our hope is that the UN Mission of Observers is credible, fair, independent and restores peace with regards to the situation. We call on all warring parties to accept the UN Observers, who come without any special interests, and to facilitate their work. We hope that no-one is 'afraid' of their work." This is the appeal launched through Fides by Monsignor Giuseppe Nazzaro, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Aleppo, who expresses the wishes of the Syrian Church on the UN Mission of Observers.
On recent unrest at the University of Aleppo, the Bishop explains to Fides: "My residence is 150 meters from the campus: I heard the shots. According to some, it seems that hired gunmen were involved, from Libya and Afghanistan: this would complicate an already very difficult situation, and would confirm that the conflict in Syria is at the center of an international geopolitical game." Meanwhile, he notes, "the Syrian population continues to suffer due to the conflict, especially for the embargo which is reflected on the people: poverty also increases because of the climate of insecurity."
The Bishop would like to point out that "as in all conflicts, an important part is played in terms of information and propaganda: it is essential to have correct and transparent information, on behalf of local and international media, as we also said in the message of the recent Syrian Bishops' meeting." The Vicar hopes that "the message will serve to shake Syria and all the international protagonists and give a real chance for peace." (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/05/2012)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers