AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Young missionary killed during a robbery at the mission of Liqueleva
Liqueleva (Agenzia Fides) - Fr. Valentim Eduardo Camale, of the Consolata Missionaries (IMC), was brutally killed on May 3, 2012 during a robbery at the mission of Liqueleva (Mozambique), which occurred at 8 pm. According to information sent to Fides, Fr. Valentim was attacked by four robbers, and reacted by immobilizing one of the bandits, but was hit by the other three, who beat him to death. He was found in a pool of blood by Fr. Fabio Malesa, who was coming back from his pastoral work, was rushed to hospital but died en route.
The Superior General of the Missionaries of the Consolata, Fr .Stefano Camerlengo, who is visiting the communities of the Ivory Coast, has written to all the missionaries of the institute: I invite you to join
together in memory of our father Camale Valentim, who was killed this evening by bandits in our mission in Liqueleva in Mozambique. A violent death like this leaves us dismayed by the atrocities of what is happening and the helplessness that remains inside. It is not easy to see how much a life is worth in front of the dynamics of this event, it is not easy to "read" with faith such a death, it is not easy to understand the death and the reason of this young missionary, is not easy to justify and forgive who has committed such a violent act.
This is why I invite every community to remember father Valentim with a community celebration by lighting a candle and to celebrate him in the silence of prayer so that the Lord welcomes him in heaven, gives comfort to his family and gives us peace and strength to continue to serve him in the mission in spite of everything! The law of the Gospel is that of the seed that once it fell on the ground it 'dies' to produce its fruit. May the Holy Spirit sustain us and especially those who are in conditions of pain, threat, and risk." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 04/05/2012)
- 2015-11-11 - "Abandon arms and follow the path of dialogue" ask the Bishops
- 2015-11-05 - Eight hundred children in feast: they will not study any more in the rain or under the hot sun
- 2015-09-09 - President Nyusi recognizes the Church's role in national reconciliation
- 2015-07-31 - For some 10,000 children development and survival threatened by congenital malformation
- 2015-07-01 - School lunch program to fight malnutrition and school dropout
- 2015-03-06 - "National unity threatened by the selfishness of a corrupt minority" say Bishops
- 2015-01-16 - Thousands of displaced and deaths because of torrential rains
- 2014-10-31 - Project for a "return to normality" after months of armed conflict
- 2014-10-20 - "Fair, free and transparent" elections, but not everyone agrees
- 2014-09-06 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Peace agreement signed in view of October elections