AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the priest seriously stabbed last week is still in critical condition, violence increases in the area
Culiacan (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Culiacan Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Jonás Guerrero Corona, has again deplored in an interview with journalists, the fatal attack suffered by Mgr. Simon Garcia Casas, parish priest of Cristo Resucitado, wounded with seven stabs from a stranger who had entered the church on April 26. "It is sad and deplorable when, with these actions, man turns away from God, especially by using violence," said Monsignor Guerrero after being informed about Mgr. Garcias Casas’ health: His situation is serious but not life threatening. Despite the aggression and the surgery immediately after the incident, Mgr.Garcia Casas is still under observation in the hospital in the area. The Prosecutor of Justice coordinates the investigation with the Police to search for the killer, but still no news. The reasons of the attack are not clear, however, in the area of Sinaloa, where the parish is situated, cases of crime with the use of violence increases. According to data collected by Fides, the local press reports that in April alone, 143 people were killed, and 511 since the beginning of 2012. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2012)
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime