AMERICA/MEXICO - Even the priest seriously stabbed last week is still in critical condition, violence increases in the area
Culiacan (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Culiacan Mexico, His Exc. Mgr. Jonás Guerrero Corona, has again deplored in an interview with journalists, the fatal attack suffered by Mgr. Simon Garcia Casas, parish priest of Cristo Resucitado, wounded with seven stabs from a stranger who had entered the church on April 26. "It is sad and deplorable when, with these actions, man turns away from God, especially by using violence," said Monsignor Guerrero after being informed about Mgr. Garcias Casas’ health: His situation is serious but not life threatening. Despite the aggression and the surgery immediately after the incident, Mgr.Garcia Casas is still under observation in the hospital in the area. The Prosecutor of Justice coordinates the investigation with the Police to search for the killer, but still no news. The reasons of the attack are not clear, however, in the area of Sinaloa, where the parish is situated, cases of crime with the use of violence increases. According to data collected by Fides, the local press reports that in April alone, 143 people were killed, and 511 since the beginning of 2012. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 03/05/2012)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement