AMERICA/URUGUAY - "Pain and frustration for the serious situation in the prisons of the Country" expresses the head of the prison Pastoral
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) - "The prisons are a reality in which we lose absolutely everyone," says Fr.Javier Galdona, Episcopal Vicar for the Solidarity and Head of the Prison Pastoral of Montevideo in a statement signed by him on behalf of the Catholic Church in Montevideo and of the Foundation "Entre Todos". "In our society, prisons, and the problems related to them, during and after the incarceration of prisoners, show a serious flaw in how to face and resolve conflicts," says the document sent to Fides that expresses deep "pain and frustration" for the way the recent prison riot was dealt with.
Last week, a revolt in the main prison in Montevideo, COMCAR, was quelled by a police intervention which lasted many hours and caused many casualties among the officers and inmates.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides 30/4/2012)
- 2014-09-26 - The Bishops for the upcoming election: "We dream of a country where human life and the family are worth more than a hectare of land"
- 2014-09-19 - AMERICA/URUGUAY – The meeting of the PMS of the American Southern Cone: working together for the mission Ad gentes
- 2014-09-08 - “Passionate Communicators of the Good News”: meeting for Cono sur Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-12-19 - Over 13 thousand signatures in favor of clean environment
- 2013-12-13 - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
- 2013-10-07 - The family at the center of missionary October
- 2013-07-02 - New educational center for the prevention of child labor
- 2013-06-21 - Invitation of the Church: a vote for a referendum against abortion
- 2013-02-23 - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church
- 2012-11-30 - Child labor and gender discrimination for Afro-Uruguayan children